Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mihofmann

Cannot use composite model

I currently have a DirectQuery model created from a SQL Server query. Now I want to add an excel file import to create a composite model. But when I add the import, a popup says if I want to continue I'll have to switch all models to import mode. I read the documentation and searched all over the internet, but can't find any solution. Desktop version is 2.121.1642.0 64-bit (September 2023). 

Thanks a lot for your help!

6 REPLIES 6
v-junyant-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mihofmann ,

I tried to reproduce what you are experiencing on my own Desktop, but everything works fine. I'm guessing it might be a Desktop version issue, please try the November version or the December version of Desktop, I tested it and had no problems.

vjunyantmsft_1-1704696598749.pngvjunyantmsft_2-1704696615146.png

Best Regards,
Dino Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

zenisekd
Super User
Super User

Any chance that you have mistaken"adding local model" with switching to import mode?

When I connect anything to my Power BI Dataset data source, I get this message.

zenisekd_0-1704442755554.png

Adding a local model doesn't switch to import however.

I don't think so. Here are some example steps:

1. Create DQ model:

mihofmann_1-1704443251214.png

2. Add Excel import:

mihofmann_2-1704443370910.png

3. This message pops up:

mihofmann_3-1704443401839.png

There must be something wrong with your settings. I tried at mine and worked fine. Any chance you have this button on? 

zenisekd_0-1704447312697.png

Check your global and current file settings. 

Does the DQ work fine just by itself, without adding the excel file? Can you load the data to desktop? 
Any chance your privacy settings on desktop would not allow it?

When I open this settings page it is blank. DirectQuery itself works though.

I think it might have to do with my corp limiting the features to those available in Power BI Report Server. For regulatory reasons we can only use on-premise and Report Server does not support composite models yet. Was hoping to at least have them available in Desktop, though.

Very likely.
Can you publish your DQ to Service? If yes, you could try to connect to Power BI Dataset and then try adding the Excel. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.