Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

PaulKraemer

Can't sign in to Power BI Desktop - HTTP 404

Hi,

I have just started trying to learn Power BI.  My understanding is that the general workflow will be that I will want to create some reports (or visualizations) using the Power BI Desktop, and that I will want to publish my work using the Power BI Service.  When I first went to the Power BI Service (at app.powerbi.com), I was able to log on with the Microsoft account that was provided for me by the company I work for.  When I click "View Account", I see a list of my current Subscriptions.  On this list, I have a grouping with the heading "Power BI Pro".  Under this heading, I see "Purview Discovery", "Exchange Foundation", and "Power BI Pro".

In Power BI Desktop, I was hoping I could sign in with this same account.  I clicked "Sign in" at the upper right of the Power BI Window.  When asked to enter an email address, I entered the same email address I used to log into the Power BI Service.  When I do this (without even being asked to enter a password), I get a message saying "We can't connect you.  Looks like we can't connect to one of our services right now.  Please try again later, or contact your helpdesk if the issue persists.  HTTP 404  login.microsoft.online.

If anyone can give me a clue what might be prevent me from signing in to Power BI Desktop, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Yulia and Amitchandak,

I spoke today with a colleague that had the same issue. He suggested I try the following and it worked ....

Go to "Start"

Search for "Run"

Type in: RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ResetIEtoDefaults

Check "Delete personal settings" box

Click the "reset" button

Reboot

... I think it is has something to do with the fact that both of us routinely use more than one microsoft account. I have what I consider my "main" microsoft account that I have used for years on forums like this, and I have a different microsoft account provided by the company I am working for. It is this corporate microsoft account to which my Power BI license is associated.

Hopefully this information might help someone else. I appreciate your help.

Best regards,
Paul

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PaulKraemer

I have tried Amitchandak's suggestion to check the "Use My Default browser" option.  I tried this first with Chrome as my default browser and then again with Edge as my default browser.  In both cases, I made sure each browser was up to date and I cleared the browser cache.  I had no success.

I'd like to try Yulia's suggestion of attempting this on a different PC, but unfortunately, I do not presently have a second PC available.  I did find that after the intial "We can't connect you" message that displayes HTTP 404 and login.microsoftonline.com, there is a second popup that provides the following information:

Sorry, we encountered an error while trying to sign you in.  WAM Error

Error Code: 3399680404

Error Message: NoNetwork

WAM Error Message: (pii)

Internal Error Code: 557973641

Possible cause : no Internet connection

... I am hoping that this information may provide addtional insight. 

Thanks and best regards,
Paul

I spoke today with a colleague that had the same issue. He suggested I try the following and it worked ....

Go to "Start"

Search for "Run"

Type in: RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ResetIEtoDefaults

Check "Delete personal settings" box

Click the "reset" button

Reboot

... I think it is has something to do with the fact that both of us routinely use more than one microsoft account. I have what I consider my "main" microsoft account that I have used for years on forums like this, and I have a different microsoft account provided by the company I am working for. It is this corporate microsoft account to which my Power BI license is associated.

Hopefully this information might help someone else. I appreciate your help.

Best regards,
Paul

v-xuxinyi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PaulKraemer 

Thanks for the reply from @amitchandak , please allow me to provide another insight:

Here is my suggestion for your referrence.

You can try logging into your account on another computer to troubleshoot whether the problem is with this computer.

Best Regards,
Yulia Xu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for your replies.  I have replied twice now with follow-up questions and it seems like my messages are not getting posted.  I am sending this quick one just to see if this works.

Best regards,
Paul

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@PaulKraemer , Make sure you are the default browser Chrome/Edge/Firefox latest version

Try this setting

Go to File-> Options and settings -> Options -> Security Option -> and check : Use My Default browser( Visible after scroll)

if needed, clear the cache of the default browser

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.