Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

jmkvalsund
Helper II
Helper II

Can stored procedures with parameters be used in a Direct Query connection?

I've read several posts and seen a lot of Youtube-movies, but I'm still confused: Is it possible to get data from a SQL-server by using stored procedures with parameters in a Direct Query connection?

Would appreciate a clear answer, yes or no 😁

(If yes, a link to a working example would be nice too)

Regards,

John Martin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
vs_7
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @jmkvalsund ,

No, it is not possible to directly use stored procedures with parameters in a Direct Query connection in Power BI.

In Direct Query mode, Power BI directly sends queries to the data source at runtime, without importing the data into the Power BI model. However, Direct Query mode has some limitations, and one of them is the inability to use stored procedures with parameters.

Direct Query mode supports simple SELECT statements, but stored procedures with parameters involve more complex logic and dynamic execution, which is not supported in this mode. Direct Query mode primarily focuses on real-time querying and analysis of large datasets.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
vs_7
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @jmkvalsund ,

No, it is not possible to directly use stored procedures with parameters in a Direct Query connection in Power BI.

In Direct Query mode, Power BI directly sends queries to the data source at runtime, without importing the data into the Power BI model. However, Direct Query mode has some limitations, and one of them is the inability to use stored procedures with parameters.

Direct Query mode supports simple SELECT statements, but stored procedures with parameters involve more complex logic and dynamic execution, which is not supported in this mode. Direct Query mode primarily focuses on real-time querying and analysis of large datasets.

Thank you for a concise answer:-)
I was hoping I could, since I have some SP's delivering ready calculated datasets from a database.
Guess I'll have to redesign them in Power BI.

Thanks again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.