Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

smccafferty
Frequent Visitor

Can drill through work with a merged column?

I'm trying to set up a drill through, and the "drill through" option (on a right click on the source page) simply doesn't appear.

I'm wondering if the issue is the column I'm trying to use.

I have some table data displayed on Page 1. I would like to drill through to Page 2, but based on multiple values from the Page 1 table. As I understand it, this is not possible - you can only drill through based on one value.

I created a merged column in the table that populates Page 1. Year-CustomerNumber-Unit (combines the three values, seperated with "-"). The table on Page 2 contains different data, but it does contain all three of those same columns. I created a merged column on that table too.

The two tables are related on this compound key I created (Many-To-Many rship). Cross filter direction is set to single (Table 1 filters Table 2). 

I have added that key as a Drill through field on the page with table 2. Inspecting the two tables visually, I can confirm that the data between the two matches (i.e. exact values in table 1 exist in table 2).

Am I missing something? Is the issue that my work around for not being able to drill on multiple fields doesn't actually work?

3 REPLIES 3
smccafferty
Frequent Visitor

@amitchandak 

Thank you for your reply - but I did realize what I'm doing wrong. Wasn't a problem with the key values - it's that the data was from two different sources (even though I created a relationship, that doesn't allow for drill through).

I changed it so that the data displayed on Page 1 uses filtered data from the same data source as Page 2. It all works now.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@smccafferty , even when you concatenate the table will it reduce the number of rows, because you will still drill for one row only?

@amitchandak

No. In both tables, I have values in a key column that look like this: "2022-788968-35"

Both table 1 and table 2 can have many rows with the same value.

When I added the key value to table 2's page as a drill through filter, I expected that on table 1 I'd be able to click drill through on the same key value - and see the filtered results. 

When I click on table 1, drill through does not appear as an option.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.