Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Marcegon
Advocate I
Advocate I

Can I pin a text tooltip button to a specific header on a table?

Can I pin a text tooltip button to a specific header on a table? I need to create 14 different comments, each specific to its corresponding header column, but when I scroll horizontally through the table the tooltip buttons move as well. How can I best achieve this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Marcegon ,
Attaching a file and navigating to the file would be too much of an ask from the user. The 4th option I suggested in previous reply should be the best move i feel.

Put all 14 descriptions in a text box and unhide it only when the bookmark is triggered through clicking on info button/icon. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anand24
Super User
Super User

@Marcegon ,
Can you please provide sample data and screenshot of expected result?

See the first screenshot of my table below.  I inserted the information button on (2) of the header columns, then I added a blank measure and inserted a text box in a card visual and placed it on top of the button, so when I hover over a header it tells me what the column represents.  However, the buttons move when I scroll horizontally to the other side of the table (see 2nd screenshot below).  I don't need the buttons.  I just need to be able to see the explanation when I hover over a specific header.  How can I get this to work?

Marcegon_0-1715638331600.png

Marcegon_1-1715638552894.png

@Marcegon ,
Tooltips and Table/Matrix are 2 separate objects for Power BI and hence this won't be possible.
Some alternatives:
1. Make the table/Matrix width fixed so that horizontal scroll can be avoided
2. You can use blank buttons as well layered over the column names but again horizontal scroll will have to be avoided

3. Instead of multiple tooltips, keep just one tooltip somewhere at the top corner of the table. Put all information in this tooltip

4. Again single info icon at the top corner of the visual. Create a bookmark which will be triggered when clicking on this info icon/button which will showcase the column meanings/definitions. Add a close button as well to trigger a 2nd bookmark to close this widnow. You can search for pop-up bookmarks over google or youtube to get this done. 

Thank you!  The table is too big to fix the width in the visual and avoid scrolling.  Do you know if I can attach a file with the 14 descriptions of the columns?  There would be too much information for one single icon. 

@Marcegon ,
Attaching a file and navigating to the file would be too much of an ask from the user. The 4th option I suggested in previous reply should be the best move i feel.

Put all 14 descriptions in a text box and unhide it only when the bookmark is triggered through clicking on info button/icon. 

Thank you!  I appreciated it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.