Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

j_ocean
Helper V
Helper V

Calling a Column from a SUMMARIZE() Function

I have data down to the daily level, reporting monthly sums. Easy enough. The problem is I'd like to get an average and standard deviation at the quarterly level, based on the monthly. I was able to do it with a calculated table built with SUMMARIZE(), but calculated tables only refresh when the model does so the result isn't dynamic with filters on any other categorical data columns. 

SUMMARIZE() results in a table, but as a measure I can't get STDEV.P or STDEVX.P to recognize that it *is* a table and let me speficy the column to do the function on. It just throws the error that it needs a single column. How do i call just that one column?

2 REPLIES 2
danextian
Super User
Super User

HI @j_ocean ,

If you want the calculation to be  dynamic, the approach would be to use a virtual table in  a measure instead of using physical tables which update only upon data refresh or when the formula changes and then use the X functions  to aggregate the values within that virtual table.
Below sample formula summarizes the measure Total by [Date] in Dates table. Please note that the fact table could have more than one row for each date. AVERAGEX is then used to get the average of Total_ column within the virtual summary table.

Daily Average (Summarize) = 
AVERAGEX (
    ADDCOLUMNS ( SUMMARIZE ( Dates, Dates[Date] ), "Total_", [Total] ),
    [Total_]
)

I would have given a sample formula for your use case but it isn't clear what you mean by "standard deviation at the quarterly level, based on the monthly". You also mentioned average but average of what?

It is always a good idea to provide a sample data (not an image) and from that sample data the expected result.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

Thank you. For those who may read this later and to clarify, while the incoming data is daily the dashbaord I'm building is for monthly sum, thus sum, average, and standard deviation need to be on the already-summed monthly number. Since there's a number of categorical columns that the user may need to filter on *and* other tabs do need daily data, I couldn't just create a pre-aggregated fact table in Power Query.

I was able to get it to work with the below. The sticking point was that column call on the virtual table built with SUMMARIZE() wasn't popping up as a column but just manually typing "[Total]" worked.

CALCULATE(
    STDEVX.P(
        SUMMARIZE(
            Sales,
            'Calendar'[Yr Qtr Month],
            "Total",
            SUM(Sales[Transaction Value])
        ),
        [Total]
    ),
    FILTER(
        ALLSELECTED('Calendar'),
        SELECTEDVALUE('Calendar'[YR Qtr]) = 'Calendar'[YR Qtr]
    )
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.