Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jdb0912

Calculated column not referencing original entry properly

Hi everyone,

I wasn't sure how to really title the exact issue I was facing, so I explained it as best as I could below.

I'm trying to calculate bed days, then associate the insurance information to each bed day. I'm working with a dataset that looks something like:

Visit IDAdmit DateDischarge DatePayer ClassPrimary Insurance Carrier
11/1/20191/2/2019FederalMedicaid
21/1/20191/8/2019FederalDept of VA
31/2/20191/3/2019PrivateAetna

In order to calculate bed days, I made a date table with a dynamic range starting with the start of the 4 years ago, defined with DAX:

Calendar = CALENDAR(DATE(YEAR(TODAY()) - 4, 1, 1), TODAY())

Then I make a calculated column within the calendar table for the bed days using DAX:

BedDays = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Visits[VisitID]), FILTER(ALL(Visits), (Visits[AdmitDate] <= Calendar[Date] && InpatientVisits[AdmitDate] >= Calendar[Date])  || (Visits[AdmitDate] <= Calendar[Date] && ISBLANK(Visits[DischargeDate])))

The calendar table will look like this as a result:

DateBed Day
1/1/20192
1/2/20193
1/3/20192
1/4/20191

I established a relationship between the visits table and the calendar table on the discharge date and calendar date.

I was hoping to achieve something where I can break down the bed days per day/month/year based on their insurance information. However, I can't seem to figure it out. If for example I'm using a matrix with the following configuration:

jdb0912_3-1689230579704.png

and there are 97 bed days for 1/1/2019, 50 federal and 47 private, I will get the below picture instead.

jdb0912_0-1689230405103.png

Thanks for any guidance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
mlsx4
Super User
Super User

Hi @jdb0912 

First of all you should establish two inactive relationship: between Admit Date and Calendar and Discharge Date and Calendar.

Then, you can calculate active beds (with this formula you also check if discharge date is empty in case the patient is still on it:

Active beds= 
    CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[Visit ID]),
    FILTER('Table','Table'[Admit Date]<=MAX('Calendar'[Fechas]) && OR('Table'[Discharge Date] >=MAX('Calendar'[Fechas]),ISBLANK('Table'[Discharge Date]))))

And now, you can display it in a matrix:

mlsx4_0-1689232276620.png

View solution in original post

Then, add a new measure:

Sum of bed days= SUMX(CalendarTable,[Active beds])

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
mlsx4
Super User
Super User

Hi @jdb0912 

First of all you should establish two inactive relationship: between Admit Date and Calendar and Discharge Date and Calendar.

Then, you can calculate active beds (with this formula you also check if discharge date is empty in case the patient is still on it:

Active beds= 
    CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[Visit ID]),
    FILTER('Table','Table'[Admit Date]<=MAX('Calendar'[Fechas]) && OR('Table'[Discharge Date] >=MAX('Calendar'[Fechas]),ISBLANK('Table'[Discharge Date]))))

And now, you can display it in a matrix:

mlsx4_0-1689232276620.png

Hi @mlsx4 ,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't I need at least one active relationship?

You don't have to. There are some cases where it isn't necessary. Take a look at Microsoft guide: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/relationships-active-inactive

Ok, got that part. Now I'm having an issue with what I'm guessing is the time intelligence. My final desired output is a matrix with years as rows, payer class as a subrow, months as columns, and the sum of all bed days for that month and year. At the date level, the output seems correct. Once the data is aggregated at the month/year level though, it displays the value for the last day of the month, which I'm guessing is because MAX(Calendar[Date]) for a month will be the last day of the month. Screenshot below for clarity

jdb0912_4-1689664130874.png

Hi @jdb0912 

And what do you need to show? A sum, an average?

I'd need a sum of the bed days.

Then, add a new measure:

Sum of bed days= SUMX(CalendarTable,[Active beds])

Oh I see. I'm supposed to create the measure in the Calendar table and not the Visits table. I think it's working as intended now. Thanks for the help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.