Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

vstanchev
Employee
Employee

Best way to deploy Power BI desktop app for multiple users

Hello Team,

Can you please advise with relevant articles what is nowadays the best way to deploy Power BI desktop application for multiple users in organization?

Is it Intune, SCCM or something else?

Please advise of afrticles? 

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vstanchev ,

Power BI Desktop is a tool for data analysis and report creation, it is free and needs to be downloaded and installed on your local computer. It cannot be used to share content (reports, dashboards and apps etc.) with others. If you want to share an app with others, you can create the reports in Power BI Desktop and publish it to Power BI Service. Then you can refer to this official document to publish an app. For more information about the features and differences between Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service, you can read the official documentation below.

Comparing Power BI Desktop and the Power BI service

If you are asking about installing the Power BI Desktop application for multiple people at the same time, I'm afraid there is no good way to do it, they need to install it on their own computers one by one... They can refer the content in the following documentation to get the latest version of Power BI Desktop and install it.

Get Power BI Desktop

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vstanchev ,

Power BI Desktop is a tool for data analysis and report creation, it is free and needs to be downloaded and installed on your local computer. It cannot be used to share content (reports, dashboards and apps etc.) with others. If you want to share an app with others, you can create the reports in Power BI Desktop and publish it to Power BI Service. Then you can refer to this official document to publish an app. For more information about the features and differences between Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service, you can read the official documentation below.

Comparing Power BI Desktop and the Power BI service

If you are asking about installing the Power BI Desktop application for multiple people at the same time, I'm afraid there is no good way to do it, they need to install it on their own computers one by one... They can refer the content in the following documentation to get the latest version of Power BI Desktop and install it.

Get Power BI Desktop

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-yiruan-msft,

Is your answer to the best way to deploy Power BI still "one-by-one"? I created a package to deploy on InTune Admin Center, but it does do anything. Not sure why. Do you have any insight into that?

robertpeeples

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @vstanchev 

Power Bi desktop is for developers, i don't see the reason to share it between multiple users. however every developer can install the application in his machine and then share the developped report in the service for further edition within all users/dev. 

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.