Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

carlol
Helper IV
Helper IV

Bar Chart: Color code based on text

Color-code based on text

Unlike in Excel, you can't color-code text values to display as a particular color, such as "Accepted"=blue, "Declined"=red, "None"=grey. You create measures related to these values and apply formatting based on those instead.

For example, StatusColor = SWITCH('Table'[Status], "Accepted", "blue", "Declined", "red", "None", "grey")

Then in the Background color dialog box, you format the Status field based on the values in the StatusColor field.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-ie/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-conditional-table-formatting

Question

I have a bar chart , the user can choose worldwide and 1 other country 

I want the bar chart to display Color blue for worldwide & Green for the other randonly selected country  

As in Excel, you can color-code text values to display as a particular color, such as "Accepted"=blue, "Declined"=red,

Can I do this in powerBI , the only option I can see , is me going through every feasible selection combo and setting the colors manually but even if I did this combersome task , when published to PowerBi service it appers to loose all formatting

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
carlol
Helper IV
Helper IV

Got it working 

Set a Flag with value 1 or 0 to allow me identify Worldwide and set the other Countries to 0 

Case When CountryD = 9999 Then 1 Else 0 End As IsNational

You can do this in the model , SQL Server .. whatever suits 

Under Data Colors in the clustered Chart I set the FX

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
carlol
Helper IV
Helper IV

Got it working 

Set a Flag with value 1 or 0 to allow me identify Worldwide and set the other Countries to 0 

Case When CountryD = 9999 Then 1 Else 0 End As IsNational

You can do this in the model , SQL Server .. whatever suits 

Under Data Colors in the clustered Chart I set the FX

Capture.PNG

hmahesh94
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @carlol 

There is no direct way to conditionally format based on text in Power BI.

Please try the below method, I believe you have the same situation:

Power BI Conditional Text Formatting Made Easy 

If you think I answered your question, please give it a like and Accept it as a solution.

Cheers!

It is p

Using a table is fine , the issue I am having is trying to implement the same functionailty in a chart 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.