Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

rajat96

Applying Filters on different hierarchy levels

Hello PBI Community, 

I am working on a problem statement that requires me to compare the sales varainces between two different periods. For example, I have to find the difference between the % of total sales for quarter 1 and % of total sales for May month end, to understand the difference in different categories of product. However,  data is defined in a maner wherein Quarter 1 can have only Jan, Feb and March.

Based on the selected month from the drop down, I want to calculate the above difference. However, I am unable to do the same when I have to subtract Quarter 1 results from that of May month end as they do not fall in the same hierarchies. 

@PowBi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rajat96 ,

I suggest you to create two Date tables and then create two inactive relationship between them to Fact table.

vrzhoumsft_0-1688461208542.png

Measure:

Sales % Period 1 = 
VAR _Period1 = TOTALYTD(SUM('Table'[Sales]),'Period 1'[Date],USERELATIONSHIP('Period 1'[Date],'Table'[Date]))
VAR _TotalYTD = TOTALYTD(SUM('Table'[Sales]),ALL('Period 1'[Date]),USERELATIONSHIP('Period 1'[Date],'Table'[Date]))
RETURN
DIVIDE(_Period1,_TotalYTD)
Sales % Period 2 = 
VAR _Period1 = TOTALYTD(SUM('Table'[Sales]),'Period 1'[Date],USERELATIONSHIP('Period 2'[Date],'Table'[Date]))
VAR _TotalYTD = TOTALYTD(SUM('Table'[Sales]),ALL('Period 2'[Date]),USERELATIONSHIP('Period 2'[Date],'Table'[Date]))
RETURN
Diff = [Sales % Period 1] - [Sales % Period 2]

Result is as below.

vrzhoumsft_1-1688461254868.png

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rajat96 ,

I suggest you to create two Date tables and then create two inactive relationship between them to Fact table.

vrzhoumsft_0-1688461208542.png

Measure:

Sales % Period 1 = 
VAR _Period1 = TOTALYTD(SUM('Table'[Sales]),'Period 1'[Date],USERELATIONSHIP('Period 1'[Date],'Table'[Date]))
VAR _TotalYTD = TOTALYTD(SUM('Table'[Sales]),ALL('Period 1'[Date]),USERELATIONSHIP('Period 1'[Date],'Table'[Date]))
RETURN
Sales % Period 2 = 
VAR _Period1 = TOTALYTD(SUM('Table'[Sales]),'Period 1'[Date],USERELATIONSHIP('Period 2'[Date],'Table'[Date]))
VAR _TotalYTD = TOTALYTD(SUM('Table'[Sales]),ALL('Period 2'[Date]),USERELATIONSHIP('Period 2'[Date],'Table'[Date]))
RETURN
Diff = [Sales % Period 1] - [Sales % Period 2]

Result is as below.

vrzhoumsft_1-1688461254868.png

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.