Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

inzaghi1230
Frequent Visitor

Append query doesn't work

I am having problem with my Append Query. In the Power BI desktop Query Editor, we have 2 append options which are Append Queries and Append Queries New.

I simply want to Append all data from Query A into table B which is empty. I suppose I only need to make a new step in my Query A to use "Append Queries", and in the pop up box asking for "Table to append", I should put in table B. 

However there is nothing happened after setting up the above and apply the change. 

Does anyone know what I might have missed? Thanks heaps.

6 REPLIES 6
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @inzaghi1230,

I simply want to Append all data from Query A into table B which is empty. I suppose I only need to make a new step in my Query A to use "Append Queries", and in the pop up box asking for "Table to append", I should put in table B. 

If you want to append all data from Query A into table B, you should make a new step in your table B instead of Query A, and use "Append Queries", and in the pop up box asking for "Table to append", you should put in Query A, then it should work if both Query A and table B have the same structures(columns).Smiley Happy

Regards

Hi @v-ljerr-msft,

Thanks for the reply. I will give it a go shortly! Cheers.

What is your rationale for appending Query A data into a blank table?  Why not just use Query A's table?  Have you created columns in Table B that match (at least in part) the columns from Query A?  If not, the append wont work.

Hi, I thought I have replied but seemed disappeared. Anyway, the reason I want to do that way is to build up my data history from day 1. Overtime the table will contain all daily data where Query A is a function of getting snapshot data. Cheers.

Hi @inzaghi1230,

Anyway, the reason I want to do that way is to build up my data history from day 1. Overtime the table will contain all daily data where Query A is a function of getting snapshot data. Cheers.

I don't think Append Query option will help to build up history data in Power BI. Here is a similar thread about storing historical data, and there are some workaround mentioned there, could you go to check if it helps in your scenario? Smiley Happy

Regards

Thanks you very much indeed v-ljerr-msft. I will look into the solution! Cheers.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.