Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gemcityzach
Helper III
Helper III

Aggregate records across four tables in a summary tables to show project status

Hey folks,

I have four SharePoint Online tables that are part of an end to end business process, made up of four distinct stages. Those four tables are based on those stagea and each stage has a series of status 'toll gates'. Each table has fields unique to the given stage of the process that the table models, but there are also some common fields among all four fields. I.e., they all have different record layouts and number of records but there are a handful of columns that are exactly the same across each and contain the same type of responses.

I need to aggregate percentage complete by business unit across these tables. I have measures in each table to compute total records and total complete records. And I even created a table to aggregate all of my status measures to show the overall status of the Stages. However, I am not able to do any sort of business unit level aggregate reporting either at the total of all stages or at the individual stages.

Here is an example of one table showing only the common fields across all four tables. Table1 could have 25 columns whereas Table 2 could have 50 columns, etc.

recordStatus is calculated to look at the three statuses in a given table and if all status fields are complete then the record is complete. The three statuses are set manually by each users.

bu_nametblnameStatus_1Status2Status3recordStatus
Name1Stage1  10
Name2Stage11Agree11
Name3Stage11Disagree11
Name4Stage1  10

What I'd like to be able to do is have a table that helps me report on Overall Status by business unit and by business unit ~ stage.

Business Unit by Total Status (across all four stages)

bu_nameStatus
Name125%
Nam212%
Name389%
etc13%

Business Unit1 ~ Stage (using dummy  data)

bu_namestage% Complete
Name1Stage112%
Name1Stage20%
Name1Stage35%
Name1Stage429%

This post is sort of close: Solved: Re: Aggregating values from different tables to an... - Microsoft Fabric Community except I do not have total values in each table. Rather, I have indivual count data in each table that I need to total and bring into the aggregated table.

2 REPLIES 2
v-jianpeng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @gemcityzach 

Can you describe what you expect the summary table to look like? Is the status in the Business Unit by Total Status (across all four stages) table already calculated by you? Is the % Complete in the Business Unit1 ~ Stage (using dummy data) table already calculated by you?

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

If it does not help, please provide more details with your desired output and pbix file without privacy information (or some sample data) .

Best Regards

Jianpeng Li

Hi @v-jianpeng-msft I want the summary table(s) visuals to look like what I've posted. E.g., Business Unit ~ Overall Status and Business Unit ~ Stage Status. I haven't summarized anything yet. That's what I'm trying to get help with. Right now all I have are four long tables with my data and a handful of columns in each table that have the same names and same types of records in them. I.e., status data and business unit data and a unique ID for the table only. There are no relations whatsoever between these tables other than the fact that they are all four part of a single end to end business process.

I need one table that shows Business Unit name(s) and Overall Status (Stage1+Stage2+Stage3+Stage4 complete records/Total Stage1+Stage2+Stage3+Stage4 business unit records) as Percentage.

bu_namesOverall % Complete
Bu Name1

(stage1_completerecords+stage2_completerecords+stage3_completerecords+stage4_completerecords)

/(totalstage1records+totalstage2records+totalstage3records+totalstage4records)

All for this specific business unit

Bu Name2As above but for Name 2 and so on

And another table that shows for a given business unit (I will create 5 separate visuals, one for each business unit) by Stage of the project:

Business Unit Name1

Stage NamePercentage Complete
Stage1(total_stage1_CompleteRecordsForThisBusinessUnit/total_Stage1_CompleteRecordsForThisBusinessUnit
Stage2total_stage2_CompleteRecordsForThisBusinessUnit/total_Stage2_CompleteRecordsForThisBusinessUnit
Stage3total_stage3_CompleteRecordsForThisBusinessUnit/total_Stage3_CompleteRecordsForThisBusinessUnit
Stage4total_stage4_CompleteRecordsForThisBusinessUnit/total_Stage4_CompleteRecordsForThisBusinessUnit

Business Unit Name2

Stage NamePercentage Complete
Stage1(total_stage1_CompleteRecordsForThisBusinessUnit/total_Stage1_CompleteRecordsForThisBusinessUnit
Stage2total_stage2_CompleteRecordsForThisBusinessUnit/total_Stage2_CompleteRecordsForThisBusinessUnit
Stage3total_stage3_CompleteRecordsForThisBusinessUnit/total_Stage3_CompleteRecordsForThisBusinessUnit
Stage4total_stage4_CompleteRecordsForThisBusinessUnit/total_Stage4_CompleteRecordsForThisBusinessUnit

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.