Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

subu_das
Regular Visitor

Adding column to a Matrix

Hello,

I need help with adding measures like Variance, YTD and Budget to Power BI in Matrix Visual for Actuals and Budget.

When i add Actuals the month are appearing as columns and values as below

subu_das_1-1713869409346.png

When i add Budget to the matrix visual it is splitted in January Month ( i understand matrix visual is like a pivot table in excel) but in excel you can add columns and hard code besides it. Visual which appears as below is not liked by client.

subu_das_2-1713871285730.png

Why it is so difficult in Power BI to add a hardcode column like budget next to a matrix as compared to excel. 

Can anyone help on this?

3 REPLIES 3
subu_das
Regular Visitor

I have used to create 15 measures, but the thing here is YTD changes for every year as we are interested in only days where the vessel was in operation. Some Vessels are sold in 2022, others in 2023 and so on 2024. So no of days becomes less in a particular year.
I have created each year Daily Run Cost as YTD is different.

@barritown 's idea is doable. Here is a similar thread for your reference. Solved: Re: To show change in sales from last month foreca... - Microsoft Fabric Community

For the YTD changes, can you provide some sample data to show what desired result you want to achieve? You may need to modify the measure for it. We can help to see if it's possible to make it dynamic. 

Best Regards,
Jing

barritown
Super User
Super User

Hi @subu_das,

One of the options is to create a table like the one below, sort optionName by sortOrder, put optionName to the Column field of your matrix and create a measure which works with this table to calculate a proper value.

sortOrder optionName
1 January
2 February
3 March
4 April
5 May
6 June
7 July
8 August
9 September
10 October
11 November
12 December
13 YTD
14 Budget
15 Var

Another option is to create 15 separate measures and place them one by one in the proper order to the value field of your matrix or table visual (in matrix you'll neet to transpose columns in its settings).

Best Regards,

Alexander

My YouTube vlog in English

My YouTube vlog in Russian

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.