Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

noventy

Adding average column in matrix visual

Hello ! Nice to meet you all. I am newbie in powerbi. 

I've case during creating matrix table. these is the cronology 

I have simple table name table_A. with columns : date, status, total_id

I wanna create report matrix report that count total_id as values. rows is status and column is date.

the problem is I couldn't drag total_id field into matrix - values. 

in the same .pbix, I have 3 pages w/ matrix table and they're all works. but in the page 4, it didn't work.

If i copy and paste the works matrix table and change the values, it also didn't work. 

Anyone have the solution ?

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @noventy ,

Sorry, after testing, I'm showing here that both the calculated columns and the MEASURES can be put into the Value of the matrix normally, and I can't reproduce your scenario.

vyangliumsft_0-1695195694120.png

Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data. We can better understand the problem and help you.

Is your Power BI Desktop the latest version, if not, upgrade to the latest version in the link below:

Download Power BI Desktop from Official Microsoft Download Center

This is the related document, you can view this content:

https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Issues/Pull-a-column-into-values-pane-of-Matrix/idi-p/1083...

https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/Matrix-Can-t-add-columns-to-Value/td-p/3066026

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

123abc
Community Champion
Community Champion

It's great to have you using Power BI! If you're unable to drag the "total_id" field into the Values section of a matrix visual in a specific page of your report, there might be a few reasons for this issue. Here are some steps you can follow to troubleshoot and resolve the problem:

1. **Check Field Availability:**
- Ensure that the "total_id" field is available in the table you are using in the problematic matrix visual. Sometimes, if the field is not present in the table or if it has been removed, you won't be able to add it to the visual.

2. **Table Relationships:**
- Confirm that there are no issues with table relationships in your data model. Matrix visuals require relationships between tables to work properly. Make sure there is a valid relationship between the table containing "total_id" and the table you are using in the matrix.

3. **Matrix Visual Settings:**
- Double-check the visual settings for the matrix. In particular, ensure that the Rows field well is populated with the "status" field, and the Columns field well is populated with the "date" field.

4. **Matrix Visual Filter Context:**
- Matrix visuals are sensitive to the filter context in your report. If there are any slicers, filters, or cross-filtering affecting the "total_id" field, it might not show up in the Values section. Try removing any filters temporarily to see if the field becomes available.

5. **Data Type:**
- Verify that the data type of the "total_id" field is compatible with the matrix visual. It should be a numeric or whole number data type for aggregation purposes.

6. **Visual-Level Filters:**
- Check if there are any visual-level filters applied to the matrix that might be hiding the "total_id" field. Click on the matrix visual and inspect the Filters pane in Power BI Desktop to see if any filters are active.

7. **Data Refresh:**
- Ensure that your data is up-to-date and that you have refreshed the dataset in Power BI Desktop. Sometimes, a refresh is needed to reflect changes in the data model.

8. **Column Hiding:**
- In some cases, the column might be hidden in the data view of Power BI Desktop. Click on the "Model" icon to view the data model and check if the "total_id" column is hidden. If it is, you can right-click and unhide it.

9. **Page Level Filters:**
- Check if there are any filters applied at the page level that could affect the "total_id" field's visibility.

10. **Visual-Level Permissions:**
- Ensure that there are no row-level security or permissions settings applied to the matrix visual that might restrict access to the "total_id" field.

If after going through these steps, you are still unable to add the "total_id" field to the Values section of your matrix visual on that specific page, you might consider recreating the visual from scratch on a new page to see if the issue persists. If it does, there could be an underlying issue with the data or model that requires further investigation.

thank you for your feedback. 

I have check all of your suggestion, and all is already appropriate. 

I have 3 matrix visual in the same page and can count the numbers, and this issue happen to the fourth matrix visual.

@v-yangliu-msft 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.