Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Amberr567

Adding additional information to a matrix

Hello

I am looking to add additional fields to a matrix, but I am not seeing a solution within power bi.

The user would like to be able to see a summarization field, essentially, that will give a high level review of the status of someone's training. So..in the below table, you can see Name and courses. I can easily get that by putting "name" in the row field, Course name in the column field, and status in the values field. But I can't seem to figure out if it's possible to add the additional fields "training complete?" and "Granted Access?". Maybe a matrix isn't the solution?

NameCourse 1Course 2Course 3Training Complete?Granted Access?
John DoeYesYesYesYes 
Jane Benjamin Yes   
Peter PanYes Yes  
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Amberr567

I ended up working around this with SQL for my data source. 

Case
when EXISTS(select 1 from CourseCompletion b where b.student= a.student and b.course like '%coursename%') then '1'
else '0'
end as 'Course1'

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Amberr567

I ended up working around this with SQL for my data source. 

Case
when EXISTS(select 1 from CourseCompletion b where b.student= a.student and b.course like '%coursename%') then '1'
else '0'
end as 'Course1'

Alex87
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hello,

It will not work if you build the matrix as described, but if you use the name on rows and than add individual measures in values you could add as many additional fields as you want.

Is there a way to make the new addition to values only appear at the right side of the matrix? I can only really successfully get something that looks like the below table. The "Training Complete" field is basically going to be the same for every course, as it would signify that all the courses are complete, so having it under every course would be redundant.

Namecourse 1course 1course 2course 2
 StatusTraining complete? StatusTraining Complete?
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Amberr567 The New Hotness (Custom Matrix Hierarchy) - Microsoft Fabric Community

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.