Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

richpow
Regular Visitor

Add new sheets to existing excel

I have created an excel file with 2 sheets but I now need to add more sheets.   These are new months with the same row headers but Power BI does not seem to see these.   New to all this, is there a way to tell Power BI that there are new sheets in the excel file to pull the refresh data from?

I had seen very limited info online about this and from what I've seen it says to create a new Get Data, the problem is I have so many calculated columns and measures and to re-do all those would take a long time.  

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @richpow 

After adding  sheets and modifying the model, if the model structure does not change, then there is no need to worry about the original measures and visuals  being destroyed. You can copy a file for testing first.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

If the new sheets have exactly the same structure, it's probably more efficient to save each sheet as a new file and then use the option of the folder as a source.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Applicable88
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@richpow , this is something you can change in PowerQuery editor. Do you want to add adtitional sheets from your Excel file or you change the amount of columns in the same sheet? 

In case you add more sheets, simply right click on the left side in PowerQuery and add a new datasource again and this time just add the new sheet. A sheet is a new source in PowerQuery. If you loaded that new sheet you can combine/join with your existing sheet. In case you just renew your Calendar data, why you don't just write these rows directly into the first sheet?

Hope it helps.

Best. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.