Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LAHIRU92
Frequent Visitor

Add Column data to the bottom of another column

In my requirement,I want to make a single column from the other columns, I need to move the data in other columns to the bottom of the first column,

Ex: My table have 8 columns with 50 rows,I want to covert it to the 1 column with 400 rows

How can I do this task

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Another approach would be, a much simpler on, to create create a custom column and input any value or null, elect this custom column, right click and select unpivot other columns.

Here is a sample code

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\221725.Dbelarmino\Downloads\Sample.xlsx"), null, true),
    #"Data_Available Type_Sheet" = Source{[Item="Data_Available Type",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Data_Available Type_Sheet", "Herlper Column", each null),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Added Custom", {"Herlper Column"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Unpivoted Other Columns",{"Value"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Removed Other Columns", each [Value] <> null and [Value] <> ""),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{{"Value", "Combined Columns"}}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns",{{"Combined Columns", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @LAHIRU92 ,

I have a vague idea of what you want to achieve. This can probably be done in Power Query. Can you please post a sample data and your expected result (please do not post an image but a link to an Excel file or text that we anyone can easily copy-paste).

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j_tv0_mab4wAhoZNsI6B0nJSYoWf0NAP/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=11053... 

Please find the currently available format and the expected format

Hi @LAHIRU92 

This is a sample M code based on the attached sample data. The code dynamically appends each column to the other regardlesss of the number of columsn. Replace the following with whatever is applicable:

• C:\Users\uer\Downloads\Sample.xlsx
  • Data_Available Type -  this is the sheet name of your data
let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\221725.Dbelarmino\Downloads\Sample.xlsx"), null, true),
    #"Data_Available Type_Sheet" = Source{[Item="Data_Available Type",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
    Custom1 = List.Combine( List.Transform(Table.ColumnNames(#"Data_Available Type_Sheet"), (x) =>  Table.ToList(Table.SelectColumns(#"Data_Available Type_Sheet", x)))),
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Custom1, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), {"Combined"}, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Converted to Table",{{"Combined", type text}}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each [Combined] <> null and [Combined] <> "")
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

danextian_0-1689746550394.png

Another approach would be, a much simpler on, to create create a custom column and input any value or null, elect this custom column, right click and select unpivot other columns.

Here is a sample code

let
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Data_Available Type_Sheet", "Herlper Column", each null),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Added Custom", {"Herlper Column"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Unpivoted Other Columns",{"Value"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Removed Other Columns", each [Value] <> null and [Value] <> ""),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{{"Value", "Combined Columns"}}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns",{{"Combined Columns", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.