Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

ask
Helper III
Helper III

2 tables merged

Hi team,

I have 2 table source to merge. First table contains full name, Second table contains first name, last name.

Full Name, and First Name +Last Name are supposed to be the key to join  I create a column as Full name in second table. But I go to edit queries -- merge queries,  the full name in the second table which I create to combine first name and last name will not shown in the second table. So, how to join 2 tables? Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Did you create the full name column using DAX?  Calc columns will not appear in the query editor, so I suggest that you create your calc column there.  Then you should see it as an available choice for the merge.

However, as a best practice, it will be much better performance (depending on how big your table is) if you join tables based on an integer key vs. string key.  Just letting you know to think ahead for production level workloads.  This may not be applicable so please ignore me if that is the case Smiley Very Happy

View solution in original post

Hi @ask,

Have you resolved your issue? You want to get a new column including First Name +Last Name. You should select the two columns, right click->Merge columns(please see the first screenshot), select the separater(please see the second screenshot). 

1.PNG2.PNG

Then you can merge the two table using the full name column in first table and the new column.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Did you create the full name column using DAX?  Calc columns will not appear in the query editor, so I suggest that you create your calc column there.  Then you should see it as an available choice for the merge.

However, as a best practice, it will be much better performance (depending on how big your table is) if you join tables based on an integer key vs. string key.  Just letting you know to think ahead for production level workloads.  This may not be applicable so please ignore me if that is the case Smiley Very Happy

Thanks. 

Hi @ask,

Have you resolved your issue? You want to get a new column including First Name +Last Name. You should select the two columns, right click->Merge columns(please see the first screenshot), select the separater(please see the second screenshot). 

1.PNG2.PNG

Then you can merge the two table using the full name column in first table and the new column.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.