Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jrdn03
Frequent Visitor

1-1 Connection not working using native SharePoint ID

I have two SharePoint lists being brought into PowerBI - "Project Dashboard" and "Intake". In SharePoint, the "Intake" list is larger and populated first. I need data from both these lists to create my report. So far, I have used the native SharePoint ID column from "Intake" and created a lookup in "Project Dashboard". Therefore, I created a one-to-one connection between 'Intake'[ID] and 'Project Dashboard'[lookup_IntakeID] in PowerBI to act as primary key. (note: the ID and lookup_IntakeID are both the same data type). 

The problem is simple... The connection between the two tables seems off. I am not able to use data from the 'Intake' table. My slicers are based on the 'Project Dashboard' table and anything that references the 'Intake' table results in blank... To make matters worse, there is one item (project) exclusively that does work, having no issue referencing from both tables. 

Example: I select a project title in a slicer (as per 'Project Dashboard' table). I want to see Project Phase (as per 'Intake' table) and Description (as per 'Project Dashboard' table). I am getting blank for Project Phase despite there being an entry in the SharePoint list.

Thanks in advance!!

2 REPLIES 2
jrdn03
Frequent Visitor

@amitchandak, Apologies. 
I think its just a matter of how I'm relating the two tables. I will try and reiterate the situation.

I have two SharePoint lists (Intake and Project Dashboard). I use the native SharePoint ID column (this is a default ID column available in all lists that auto-populate in increments of 1 for new items) as the common identifier between lists. (i.e.: IntakeID = 1...n and a lookup column in 'Project Dashboard' for the same column info to relate). I then uploaded the tables into PowerBI, made a 1-to-1 relationship, and was not able to relate the data between tables as expected. There is only one instance of each ID because each project can only have one ID. Each list only has once instance of each project, therefore, 1-to-many doesn't seem to work. 

If not clear, I can put together a file 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@jrdn03 , Not very clear. Try to create a 1 -Many relationship between two tables.

The table of the one should be one you want to use in slicer

If this does not help
Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.