Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Doug7983
Helper I
Helper I

Deneb | Vega-Lite tooltip issue

With much help from @giammariam , I have a Deneb custom visual that is exactly what I want--except for the tooltip. Deneb is displaying the tooltip for the highlighted null data point as 0.0%. I would expect to see a blank. 

data.png

Here is the relevant part of the tooltip block from my spec:

{
"field": "Growth (month over year-ago month)",
"type": "quantitative",
"format": ".1%"
},

This works great except for the display of the last data point, which again should be blank, null, "n/a" or something of the sort.

Appreciate any help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks @Doug7983, try the following:

1. In the top transform array add the following: 

{
      "calculate": "isValid(datum['Growth (MoYaM)']) ? format(datum['Growth (MoYaM)'], '.1%') : ''",
      "as": "Growth (MoYaM) Tooltip"
    },
    {
      "calculate": "isValid(datum['Growth (WDC)']) ? format(datum['Growth (WDC)'], '.1%') : ''",
      "as": "Growth (WDC) Tooltip"
    }

Note - if you want it to show null or n/a, replace the '' with null or 'n/a'. As it is currently, it will just be blank

2. Update the tooltip to the following:

"tooltip": [
        {"field": "Category", "type": "nominal"},
        {"field": "Date", "type": "temporal"},
        {"field": "Growth (MoYaM) Tooltip", "title": "Growth (MoYaM)", "type": "nominal"},
        {"field": "Growth (WDC) Tooltip", "title": "Growth (WDC)", "type": "nominal"}
      ],

giammariam_1-1698953684859.png

Let me know if this works

Madison Giammaria
Proud to be a Super User 😄
LinkedIn

Do you frequently use Deneb to provide insights to your stakeholders? Have you considered sponsoring this free and open source custom visual? More info here!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
giammariam
Super User
Super User

Ha, thanks @Doug7983. Feel free to reach out anytime. 

Madison Giammaria
LinkedIn

Do you frequently use Deneb to provide insights to your stakeholders? Have you considered sponsoring this free and open source custom visual? More info here!
Doug7983
Helper I
Helper I

Hey @giammariam, thanks for the response. Security policies prevent me from sharing a pbix in that manner. Here's the thread where you helped me with the spec.

Thank you.

Thanks @Doug7983, try the following:

1. In the top transform array add the following: 

{
      "calculate": "isValid(datum['Growth (MoYaM)']) ? format(datum['Growth (MoYaM)'], '.1%') : ''",
      "as": "Growth (MoYaM) Tooltip"
    },
    {
      "calculate": "isValid(datum['Growth (WDC)']) ? format(datum['Growth (WDC)'], '.1%') : ''",
      "as": "Growth (WDC) Tooltip"
    }

Note - if you want it to show null or n/a, replace the '' with null or 'n/a'. As it is currently, it will just be blank

2. Update the tooltip to the following:

"tooltip": [
        {"field": "Category", "type": "nominal"},
        {"field": "Date", "type": "temporal"},
        {"field": "Growth (MoYaM) Tooltip", "title": "Growth (MoYaM)", "type": "nominal"},
        {"field": "Growth (WDC) Tooltip", "title": "Growth (WDC)", "type": "nominal"}
      ],

giammariam_1-1698953684859.png

Let me know if this works

Madison Giammaria
LinkedIn

You're incredible, @giammariam . Thanks so much. 

giammariam
Super User
Super User

Hey @Doug7983, thanks for the tag. Can you either send me your .pbix  (here's how), or send me the link to the post where I helped you originally? Happy to dive back into the spec and get this straight for you, I would just would need to refamiliarize myself with what I did.

Madison Giammaria
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors