Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

pthapa
Helper V
Helper V

Why schedule refresh is not visible in my dataset?

Hello All,
I have create a Calendar table and published in the power bi service. When I went there to turn on the schedule refresh, that option was not available for that dataset. However; I can see other dataset the option is still visible. Any idea why I am not able to see the schedule refresh option for my Calendar table? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

PT

Here is the sanpshot of the setting in power bi service:

pthapa_0-1702396739600.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Ok. This code is not connecting to a data source, so there is nothing to refresh. Refreshing is getting data from a data source like SQL Server, etc. and moving it into the Power BI Service.

View solution in original post

Oh great, that is what I was also thinking. Sounds good then. 
Appreciate your help.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
djurecicK2
Super User
Super User

Hi @pthapa ,

What is the source for the calendar table? 

Hi @djurecicK2 ,

Source is direct query. Yes, gateway is installed and running without problem for other datasets. However since it is direct query, I don't belive it has to do anything with the gateway since it is just a Calendar Table that I am testing.
It is strange that refresh option is not available, not sure why!

Thanks,

PT

Direct Query datasets/semantic models do not refresh. (Refreshing is importing data into the PBI Service) They are connected directly to the source. 

Here is some additional information:

Power BI doesn't import data over connections that operate in DirectQuery mode. Instead, the semantic model returns results from the underlying data source whenever a report or dashboard queries the semantic model. Power BI transforms and forwards the queries to the data source. Because Power BI doesn't import the data, you don't need to run a data refresh.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/refresh-data#semantic-models-in-directquery-...

I am sorry, I didn't mean to say direct query. I had the code started from 'Blank Query', not direct query. Sorry for confusion.
I had the script run in Blank Query (Advance Editor) to begin with, so.

Ok no problem. Can you post part or some of your script? If the script just creates the table without connecting to a data source, there is still nothing to refresh.

Here is the code:

let
StartDate = Date.AddYears(Date.StartOfYear(Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow())),-3),//start of year, past 3 years
EndDate = Date.AddYears(Date.EndOfYear(Date.From(DateTime.LocalNow())),3), //end of year, in future 3 years

NumberOfDays = Duration.Days(EndDate - StartDate),
Dates = List.Dates(StartDate,NumberOfDays+1,#duration(1,0,0,0)),
#"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(Dates,Splitter.SplitByNothing(),null,null,ExtraValues.Error),
#"Change Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Converted to Table",{{"Column1", type date}}),
#"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Change Type",{{"Column1", Order.Ascending}}),
#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Sorted Rows",{{"Column1", "Date"}}),
#"Inserted Year" = Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "Year", each Date.Year([Date]), Int64.Type),
#"Inserted Day" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Year", "Day", each Date.Day([Date]), Int64.Type),
#"Inserted Month" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Day", "Month", each Date.Month([Date]), Int64.Type),
#"Inserted Day Name" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Month", "Weekday Name", each Date.DayOfWeekName([Date]), type text),
#"Inserted Day of Week" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Day Name", "Weekday Number", each Date.DayOfWeek([Date]), Int64.Type),
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted Day of Week", "Year/Month", each [Year]*100+[Month]),
#"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Quarter", each Date.QuarterOfYear([Date])),
#"Sorted Rows1" = Table.Sort(#"Added Custom1",{{"Date", Order.Ascending}})
in
#"Sorted Rows1"

Ok. This code is not connecting to a data source, so there is nothing to refresh. Refreshing is getting data from a data source like SQL Server, etc. and moving it into the Power BI Service.

Oh great, that is what I was also thinking. Sounds good then. 
Appreciate your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors