Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Tangelo-tech
Helper I
Helper I

What code development is required to connect to the Rest API using the Web Data Connector (Get Data>

Hi,

I want to create a template app to put in the power bi marketplace which contains data from my web.When I connect to a data source in Power BI Desktop, I choose to retrieve data from the web. I will fill in a URL address (http://123.57.5.120:9334/api/open/powerbi/queryData?appKey=4d9c0ee8&startDate=2024-03-19&endDate=202...

4.8.0.png
This is my example data. I have defined three parameters, and I hope that when users install my template application, entering these parameters can help me query the data tables of different users. 

4.8.1.png

But I don't know how to connect these parameters with my URL through the Power BI API, so I didn't do any programming. 

Now, I have installed the testing template application and entered the three parameters mentioned above. 

iShot_2024-04-08_18.50.31.png

When I click Next, it prompts me Data source not supported.Connecting to data sources that require a local gateway is not currently supported. Connecting to data sources that require a local gateway is not currently supported.Please try again later or contact support. If you choose to contact support, please provide these details.

• Activity ID 96580b8c-83ff-406c-aed5-f4cd29aa0214
  • Request ID ad991e35-1e04-a71a-ccac-719c5292cb01
  • Related ID e106916c-c1d3-68f0-d870-33911d0ae536
  • TimeMon Apr 08 2024 18:51:58 GMT+0800 (China Standard Time)
  • Service version 13.0.23021.56
  • Client version 2404.1.18702-train
  • https://wabi-east-asia-a-primary-redirect.analysis.windows.net/
  • iShot_2024-04-08_18.53.51.png
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
johnbasha33
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@Tangelo-tech 

It seems like you're trying to create a Power BI template app that connects to a web data source using parameters, but you're encountering an error message stating that connecting to data sources requiring a local gateway is not supported.

Here's what you can do to address this issue:

1. Data Source Connectivity: The error message indicates that connecting to data sources requiring a local gateway is not currently supported. This means that the web data source you're trying to connect to may require a local gateway for connectivity, and template apps do not support this type of connection.

2. Alternative Data Source: Consider using a different data source that does not require a local gateway for connectivity. Power BI supports a wide range of data sources including databases, cloud services, APIs, and more. You may be able to find an alternative data source that meets your requirements and does not require a local gateway.

3. Parameterized URLs: If you're unable to use a different data source, you may need to modify your approach to use parameterized URLs within Power BI. This involves creating a parameterized query in Power BI Desktop and passing parameters to the URL dynamically. However, this approach may not be feasible if the web data source specifically requires a local gateway for connectivity.

4. Contact Support: If you believe that the error message is incorrect or if you require further assistance, you can contact Microsoft Power BI support for help. Provide the details mentioned in the error message, such as the activity ID and request ID, to help them investigate the issue further.

5. Consider Workarounds: Depending on your specific requirements, you may need to explore alternative solutions or workarounds to achieve your goals. This could involve using custom connectors, data preprocessing, or other techniques to connect to and retrieve data from your web data source.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-jialongy-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Tangelo-tech 

If possible, move the data to a cloud-based storage service like Azure Blob Storage or Azure SQL Database. Once the data is in the cloud, Power BI can access it directly without the need for a gateway.

Best Regards,

Jayleny

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-jialongy-msft How to move the data to a cloud-based storage service like Azure Blob Storage or Azure SQL Database?Do I need to buy an Azure server first?

johnbasha33
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@Tangelo-tech 

It seems like you're trying to create a Power BI template app that connects to a web data source using parameters, but you're encountering an error message stating that connecting to data sources requiring a local gateway is not supported.

Here's what you can do to address this issue:

1. Data Source Connectivity: The error message indicates that connecting to data sources requiring a local gateway is not currently supported. This means that the web data source you're trying to connect to may require a local gateway for connectivity, and template apps do not support this type of connection.

2. Alternative Data Source: Consider using a different data source that does not require a local gateway for connectivity. Power BI supports a wide range of data sources including databases, cloud services, APIs, and more. You may be able to find an alternative data source that meets your requirements and does not require a local gateway.

3. Parameterized URLs: If you're unable to use a different data source, you may need to modify your approach to use parameterized URLs within Power BI. This involves creating a parameterized query in Power BI Desktop and passing parameters to the URL dynamically. However, this approach may not be feasible if the web data source specifically requires a local gateway for connectivity.

4. Contact Support: If you believe that the error message is incorrect or if you require further assistance, you can contact Microsoft Power BI support for help. Provide the details mentioned in the error message, such as the activity ID and request ID, to help them investigate the issue further.

5. Consider Workarounds: Depending on your specific requirements, you may need to explore alternative solutions or workarounds to achieve your goals. This could involve using custom connectors, data preprocessing, or other techniques to connect to and retrieve data from your web data source.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

@johnbasha33 This involves creating a parameterized query in Power BI Desktop and passing parameters to the URL dynamically.I think this method can solve my problem. But I don't know exactly how to do it. Do you have a more detailed operation document?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors