Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

xryu
Frequent Visitor

Template App and Scheduled Refresh

Hello

I have a question regarding Template App Workspaces and Schedule Refresh on datasets.

When you setup the schedule refresh for a dataset in a template app workspace, does that refresh schedule goes with the published app so the scheduled refresh will be in place and run automatically after the installation?

Or otherwise, do you have to set up the scheduled refresh in the app workspace dataset for every client after the installation?

Thank you for your help! 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
xryu
Frequent Visitor

I tested it in my enviroment: I setup the refresh schedule on the dataset in the template app workspace, and republished the app.
After installation, the refresh schedule is not there.
I realize that to set up the refresh schedule, one needs to authenticate his/her data source credential at the first step, so, the scheduled refresh settings will not be transferrable from the template app workspace to the published app since the credential authentication is not completed yet.

It would be a user friendly feature to be able to deliver a default refresh schedule within the app installation package.

Any solution or workaround about this is highly appreciated.

View solution in original post

v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @xryu ,

Here are two things you need to know about the refresh of the Template App:

1.Exactly one dataset should be present. Only datasets built into Power BI Desktop (.pbix files) are allowed. Not supported: Datasets from other template apps, cross-workspace datasets, paginated reports (.rdl files), and Excel workbooks.

2.Data sources supported for cloud Scheduled Data refresh are allowed. Not supported: Live connections, on-premises data sources (personal and enterprise gateways aren't supported), real time (no support for push dataset), and composite models.

Also,Template apps don't support incremental refresh.

To learn how changes in the dataset affect the installed template app, see Overwrite behavior.

As for this you mentioned in the post "It would be a user friendly feature to be able to deliver a default refresh schedule within the app installation package."

As far as I know this is not supported.If you would like to suggest  feature improvements, you may vote the idea and comment here  to improve this feature. It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @xryu ,

Here are two things you need to know about the refresh of the Template App:

1.Exactly one dataset should be present. Only datasets built into Power BI Desktop (.pbix files) are allowed. Not supported: Datasets from other template apps, cross-workspace datasets, paginated reports (.rdl files), and Excel workbooks.

2.Data sources supported for cloud Scheduled Data refresh are allowed. Not supported: Live connections, on-premises data sources (personal and enterprise gateways aren't supported), real time (no support for push dataset), and composite models.

Also,Template apps don't support incremental refresh.

To learn how changes in the dataset affect the installed template app, see Overwrite behavior.

As for this you mentioned in the post "It would be a user friendly feature to be able to deliver a default refresh schedule within the app installation package."

As far as I know this is not supported.If you would like to suggest  feature improvements, you may vote the idea and comment here  to improve this feature. It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Hi Neeko, 

Thank you for your relpy.

>1. Exactly one dataset should be present. 

Yes, we only have one default dataset in the workspace which is published from the Power BI Desktop.

> 2. Data sources supported for cloud Scheduled Data refresh are allowed. 

Yes, we were able to set up the refresh schedule in the template app development workspace. After publishing the app and install, the dataset installed with the App does not have the refresh schedule in place.

As you mentioned, it's not support at this point.

But thank you for your advice, it's very helpful

Best regards.

xryu
Frequent Visitor

I tested it in my enviroment: I setup the refresh schedule on the dataset in the template app workspace, and republished the app.
After installation, the refresh schedule is not there.
I realize that to set up the refresh schedule, one needs to authenticate his/her data source credential at the first step, so, the scheduled refresh settings will not be transferrable from the template app workspace to the published app since the credential authentication is not completed yet.

It would be a user friendly feature to be able to deliver a default refresh schedule within the app installation package.

Any solution or workaround about this is highly appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors