Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ikesil
Frequent Visitor

Sharepoint images stopped showing in PowerBi service

I have a Power Bi report published in a workspace where a list of users have access. I also have a SharePoint site with images to which the same list of users have access.

In the report I use the new card visual (ikesil_0-1714116446384.png) to show images by adding the image URL (Example: https://<group>.sharepoint.com/sites/<site_name>/Images/<ImageName>.jpg). This way the image doesn't load on Power Bi desktop but it does when published to the service. (As long as you have access to the SharePoint site)

This has usually worked perfectly, showing all the images without trouble, but this Monday, without changing anything, all the images have stopped appearing, showing only the broken image symbol (ikesil_1-1714116816235.png). 

When I check the network status, it appears that the Power Bi service can't access the SharePoint images because it can't be authorized. I have checked, and my user still has access to the images stored in that Sharepoint site, so I don't understand why is this happening now.

ikesil_2-1714117097496.png

What I want to know is if anyone else is experiencing this problem, or if someone knows possible causes and solutions.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ikesil
Frequent Visitor

It seems that the issue has been resolved, at least for me. I still don't know what the root of the problem was, but it definitely comes from the service provider (Power Bi or SharePoint), as it has appeared and has been resolved without my intervention. I just hope that it isn't a recurring thing.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ikesil
Frequent Visitor

It seems that the issue has been resolved, at least for me. I still don't know what the root of the problem was, but it definitely comes from the service provider (Power Bi or SharePoint), as it has appeared and has been resolved without my intervention. I just hope that it isn't a recurring thing.

Yes it has been resolved for me aswell, thanks for the update!

Thanks @ikesil for informing 🙂 I checked the issue has been resoved for me too. Hope this does not reoccur as we have live dashboards!

Powerbi_User77
Frequent Visitor

I am facing the exact issue. I have images in URL dataset present in Sharepoint. I have used this dataset in my power bi dashboard as imageURL. The images were loading perfectly fine in service a few days back. Suddenly the images have stopped loading in service. Please provide a solution, as this is an urgent requirement. 

@ikesil Can you please provide steps on how you checked the authentication between SharePoint and Power BI service ? 

After I checked that I still had access to both the PowerBi service and SharePoint with my user, and after checking that the credentials for the PowerBi data origins where all correct, I used the web browser DevTools to see what the problem was.

In order to check the connection through DevTools I followed these steps:

• Access the browser DevTools (ctrl+shift+i for most browsers)
  • Go to the Network page
  • Reload the web page of the PowerBi service with the images (ctrl+r)

ikesil_1-1714370222842.png

Once you do that you will see network information about all the elements that load in the specific page you reloaded, including the SharePoint images that are no longer appearing. 

The downside is that the information that this tool gives is only the error code indicating an authentication problem, we still don't know what the root of the problem is.

Thanks @ikesil for the quick response.

I even tried other options to show images using base 6 encoding but it still did not work. Seems an issue in Power BI service 🙁

EpDaBi

We have the exact same problem, the URL is directly accesible by the user just not via Power bi. It used to work without fail for the last year. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors