Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Gabry
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Same gateway multiple tenants

Hi guys, I have a problem. I would like to connect the same on-premises server to two different tenants. Let me explain better: I have an on-premises SQL server that we call "Server01". I would like to connect to this server from the tenant of company A and from the tenant of company B. How can I do that? When I try to register the gateway, it seems that I can only register one at a time. As soon as I register a new gateway, the old one stops working. Is there any particular procedure that needs to be followed?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Gabry ,

Only one gateway can be installed on a machine. You can create another gateway in a virtual machine. My suggestion is that you just create a gateway for tenant A and then invite tenant B's users as guest users and share tenant A's gateway to tenant B's users.

Distribute content to external guest users with Microsoft Entra B2B - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

View and manage on-premises data gateways (preview) - Power Platform | Microsoft Learn

Solved: Sharing enterprise gateway or on premises gateway - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Gabry ,

Install separate on-premises data gateways for each tenant. This means you will have one gateway for Company A and another for Company B. Each gateway should be registered under its respective tenant. After installing the gateways, configure the SQL Server data source in each gateway. Ensure that the server and database information is correctly entered and that the authentication method matches your SQL Server setup.

If appropriate and if you have administrative access to both tenants, you can consider sharing the gateway from one tenant with the other. 

Invite Tenant B user as guest user

Power BI Service–> Settings wheel –> Manage gateways->Select a gateway click Manage Users and add the user for tenant B

For more details, please refer: Manage a SQL Server data source - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Distribute content to external guest users with Microsoft Entra B2B - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Thanks for the help. How can i install 2 gateways on the same machine? 

If I try to install again the gateway it just says that it's already installed

Hi @Gabry ,

Only one gateway can be installed on a machine. You can create another gateway in a virtual machine. My suggestion is that you just create a gateway for tenant A and then invite tenant B's users as guest users and share tenant A's gateway to tenant B's users.

View and manage on-premises data gateways (preview) - Power Platform | Microsoft Learn

Solved: Sharing enterprise gateway or on premises gateway - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

johnbasha33
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@Gabry 

Connecting an on-premises server to multiple tenants in a scenario like this can be challenging due to the limitations of some integration services and the nature of tenant-based architectures. Here's a general approach you can take to achieve this:

1. Multiple Gateways: Since you've mentioned that registering a new gateway seems to disable the old one, it's possible that the gateway registration process is designed to work with only one gateway per environment or tenant. In this case, you may need to set up multiple instances of the gateway software, each registered with a different tenant.

2. Separate Installations: Install and configure separate instances of the gateway software for each tenant. This means you'll have two separate gateway installations, each registered with a different tenant.

3. Isolation: Ensure that the installations are isolated from each other to avoid conflicts. This could involve using different installation directories, different service accounts, and potentially different physical or virtual machines.

4. Configuration: When setting up each gateway instance, ensure that you configure it to connect to the appropriate tenant's resources. This may involve specifying different connection details, authentication methods, or other settings specific to each tenant.

5. Testing: After setting up both gateway instances, thoroughly test connectivity from each tenant's environment to the on-premises server. This will help ensure that each tenant can access the resources they need without interference from the other.

6. Monitoring and Maintenance: Once everything is set up and working correctly, establish procedures for monitoring and maintaining the gateway instances. This may include monitoring for errors or connectivity issues, applying updates or patches, and performing regular backups.

7. Vendor Support: If you're using a specific integration or cloud service provider for the gateway software, consider reaching out to their support team for guidance or assistance. They may have additional recommendations or best practices for setting up multiple gateways in this manner.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

Gabry
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Thank you for the assistance, but unfortunately, this doesn't address my issue adequately. It seems like information I could have obtained from ChatGPT.

Could you clarify what "vendor support" entails? Will Microsoft provide assistance in this matter?

I've installed the standard gateway for PowerBI.

Managing different virtual machines isn't feasible for me. I only have one SQL server, and I aim to connect to this SQL server from multiple PowerBI tenants. Is there no straightforward solution to accomplish this?

Simply duplicating the entire database isn't viable as a solution.

What steps should I take to connect to the same SQL server from multiple tenants?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors