Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

AugustoChaves
Advocate II
Advocate II

Refreshes for Datasets containing Calculated Tables over Direct Query to AS started failing Mar 30th

Hello, 

Refreshes of datasets that contain calculated tables from DQ to AS started failing March 30th, 2022. This worked completely fine until March 29th which points to a change at Power BI service side. The error message is as follows:

{"error":{"code":"Premium_ASWL_Error","pbi.error":{"code":"Premium_ASWL_Error","parameters":{},"details":[{"code":"Premium_ASWL_Error_Details_Label","detail":{"type":1,"value":"Refresh is not supported for datasets with a calculated table or calculated column that depends on a table which references Analysis Services using DirectQuery."}}],"exceptionCulprit":1}}}

49 REPLIES 49

@AugustoChaves 

Thank you for your service!  Can you please post an authoritative link to more info from Microsoft (bug number or kb number or blog or something)? 

I'd like to open a support ticket as well, and your prior work may save others some effort (getting thru a couple layers of support).  It is an obnoxious bug.  A report developer shouldn't be able to spend several days building something with the PBI desktop, only to find out that their report won't refresh after being published to the service.  That wasted effort is not acceptable, even by Power BI standards.

I suppose the official reply will include some stuff about the fact that this directquery feature is still in "public preview".  But that message is starting to seem like nonsense, considering the degree to which the functionality is promoted by community leaders, and how very long it has been in "public preview" (3 years?)

Hello , i have the same problem., is there a solution, on the near future?

thank you

dbeavon3
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Nevermind, I found the documentation about this limitation:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-datasets-azure-analysis-...

"Calculated tables aren't supported in the Service using this feature. Attempting to perform a refresh on a dataset with a calculated table or a calculated column that references a DirectQuery data source will result in a "Single sign-on (SSO) credential isn't provided" error message."

It still seems obnoxious that they allow you to build a report on the desktop, which is unable to be used when published to the service.  I think people would be a lot less frustrated if they weren't being "teased" with a feature on the desktop, only to find out that it isn't going to work in production.

I agree 100% with all that you mentioned. The error I am getting is not exactly as anticipated (SSO credentials):

"Refresh is not supported for datasets with a calculated table or calculated column that depends on a table which references Analysis Services using DirectQuery."

I support you @AugustoChaves !Posting just to keep the topic alive, as it is still a problem in 2023.

I use it to build effective dimension tables (based on data in the fact tables) with SUMMARIZE. It is also one of the things that work perfectly fine in desktop and there is no reason to suspect they wouldn't in the service until you publish and try to refresh.

Posting for extra attention:

I cant believe this is a "feature".. 

Below is the error im getting.. it makes no sense that this works in the desktop but not in the service..

Refresh is not supported for datasets with a calculated table or calculated column that depends on a table which references Analysis Services using DirectQuery

Posting to keep the thread alive. 
Still facing the issue. Any roadmap to have a resolution on this? 

I didn't realize that it used to work at one time... 🤔

A working feature being pulled back is really bad. Feel sorry for all the work that you might have done on it and the rework that would be required. 

Maybe they identified some issue with such refreshes which cannot be resolved with the current architecture and that could be the reason for pulling the plug on it. 

Appreciate you sharing your experience. 

Do keep us posted if you get any explanation on why it was working before. 

Ask for a call with the product team. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors