Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

LOPSAN

PowerBI Online Services not recognizing On-premises Data Gateway (Personal Mode)

Hi Everyone,

Background: I have the 'On-premises Data Gateway (Personal Mode) downloaded to my work computer. When I publish a Report through PowerBI Desktop, which has Excel and MySQL sources, I am unable to set a 'refresh'. After much troubleshooting, I noticed that the connections I have to my sources is not being "accessed" by the Data Gateway, and instead is automatically being 'accessed' as a 'Cloud Connection'. 

LOPSAN_6-1713211350880.png

When I try to manually create a 'New'  Connection, my Data Gateway does not appear in the dropdown field for Gateway Cluster Name

LOPSAN_0-1713212287430.png

LOPSAN_0-1713212715342.png

LOPSAN_1-1713212310858.png

Issue: When publishing a Report, the MySQL Connections I have are not being 'accessed' by the On-premises Data Gateway, but are instead being 'accessed' via a Cloud Connection - even though MySQL is running on a Local Server, not Online.

Question: How do I get PBI to recognize MySQL Database as a 'Gateway' Connection and not as a 'Cloud' Connection?

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @LOPSAN 

It appears that if you want to connect to a masql connection, you would need to instal the standard mode gateway. Here are the differences listed below.

Use a personal gateway in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ - Is this something new that was just updated/changed? Do you know? 

I'm asking because, for the past months (6 months), everything has been working fine. I can confirm that I was able to 'Schedule Refresh' on PBI, for multiple Published Reports, using MySQL as the 'main' connection. And MySQL was showing the 'Gateway Cluster' as Personal Mode.

It wasn't until recently, that I noticed the fact that MySQL Connections were no longer going through the Personal Gateway and were instead being "processed" by Cloud Connection

Hi @LOPSAN 

There are changes that happen from time to time, so there could well have been a change made.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors