Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Power BI with AWS

Are there any challenges in using Power BI with AWS ecosystem ( example AWS S3, AWS RDS, AWS Redshift) ? 

Does Power BI allow me to select region where I can save my reports in Power BI Service? example let say if AWS Redshift is hosted in Europe region then can I save my Power BI reports in Power BI Service in Europe region?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @powerbiexpert22 ,

Yes, you can use Power BI with the AWS ecosystem, including services like AWS S3, AWS RDS, and AWS Redshift. However, there can be challenges related to connectivity, security, performance, and cost optimization. For instance, setting up a fully functional and reliable Power BI Data Gateway can be complex. Also, dealing with massive and complex data, such as the AWS cost and usage report, can be challenging.

As for your second question, Power BI does allow you to select the region where your data is stored. The region is selected when you set up a new capacity in the Power BI service. You can find out in which region your data is currently located by logging into the Power BI service and selecting 'About Power BI’8. It’s important to review the data region before signing up for Office 365, Power BI, or other Microsoft services. So, if your AWS Redshift is hosted in the Europe region, you can indeed save your Power BI reports in the Power BI Service in the Europe region.

For more you may refer to:

Introduction - Using Microsoft Power BI with the AWS Cloud (amazon.com)

Using Microsoft Power BI with the AWS Cloud - Using Microsoft Power BI with the AWS Cloud (amazon.co...

Multi-Geo support for Fabric - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi @v-xiaoyan-msft

Can you share more details on how dealing with massive and complex data, such as the AWS cost and usage report, can be challenging? 

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @powerbiexpert22 ,

Yes, you can use Power BI with the AWS ecosystem, including services like AWS S3, AWS RDS, and AWS Redshift. However, there can be challenges related to connectivity, security, performance, and cost optimization. For instance, setting up a fully functional and reliable Power BI Data Gateway can be complex. Also, dealing with massive and complex data, such as the AWS cost and usage report, can be challenging.

As for your second question, Power BI does allow you to select the region where your data is stored. The region is selected when you set up a new capacity in the Power BI service. You can find out in which region your data is currently located by logging into the Power BI service and selecting 'About Power BI’8. It’s important to review the data region before signing up for Office 365, Power BI, or other Microsoft services. So, if your AWS Redshift is hosted in the Europe region, you can indeed save your Power BI reports in the Power BI Service in the Europe region.

For more you may refer to:

Introduction - Using Microsoft Power BI with the AWS Cloud (amazon.com)

Using Microsoft Power BI with the AWS Cloud - Using Microsoft Power BI with the AWS Cloud (amazon.co...

Multi-Geo support for Fabric - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors