Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

kurrysamir
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Premium per user license doesnt allow report access to free power bi users

Hi All,

I upgraded my power bi pro license to power bi premium per user license and currently I am the only one who is responsible to publish reports in Power BI service. I wanted to have a Power BI per user since it will allow me to better manage my deployments across different environments.

Please correct my understanding here, all the free Power BI non-technical users(around 50 users) will have to get a power bi per user license if I were to publish my reports from a power bi workspace? If that is true, we need to spend 50 * licensing cost for all the users without we not using all the capabilities that premium per user gets on table. 

Or is there any other way I can use a Power BI premium per user workspace, make reports, dashboards, apps and share it with my power bi free users.

Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @kurrysamir 

Correct, all 50 users must have a PPU licenses to consume your report. The other way is to buy Premium capacity but for only 50 free users would be very expensive and not a good move.

aj1973_0-1702657934671.png

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
kurrysamir
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Amine then I could stick to using Power BI Pro license. By using Power BI Premium per user I wanted to access the deployment pipelines as currently we I have to publish my PBI file once each to UAT and PROD. Any other way by using Power BI Pro license I can access the deployment pipelines?

No, pipeline is Premium functionality.

However with Pro license you can create 3 WS,

One WS_Dev for Dataset + Report

Another WS_Dataset_Prod where you put the dataset prod without its reports

And a third one WS_Prod where you publish only Thin Reports.

Of course you need to version you datasets and reports by a suffix of your choice and you can rename your reports when added to an App for the end users.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Thank you for the advice will follow it. Any idea why the non-technical users needs a power bi premium per user license as even they wont be able to take advantages as the people who build reports, dashboards and do all the sorts of configuration. Pretty sure this is a common situation across most companies. In my company, the users mostly use analyse in excel feature the most to do pivotting.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @kurrysamir 

Correct, all 50 users must have a PPU licenses to consume your report. The other way is to buy Premium capacity but for only 50 free users would be very expensive and not a good move.

aj1973_0-1702657934671.png

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors