Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

srduval
Helper II
Helper II

Power BI Paginated Report Export as CSV

I have a paginated report that I have to export as a CSV and the column names contain spaces. in SQL I replaced all the spaces in the names with underscores, and then pagianted report column headers removed them as expected. However when I export the report as CSV from PBI Service, it is retaining the SQL column names, not the column names from the row header in the RDL. Is this normal or am I missing something?

5 REPLIES 5
mohitkumawat
Super User
Super User

Hi @srduval ,

You're right, this behavior is expected in Power BI Service when exporting paginated reports to CSV.Go back to your SQL and consider modifying the column names permanently to remove spaces. This ensures consistency across Power BI and avoids confusion during export.
Try below Approch if this works 

Open your paginated report in Report Builder.

Click on the text box displaying the column header with the desired name (including spaces).

In the Properties pane, locate the property named "Value." This property defines the text displayed in the report.

You can set the "Value" property to an expression that references the actual column name (with underscores) but formats it to include spaces.

For example, if the actual column name is "Total_Sales," you could set the "Value" property to ="Total " & Fields!Total_Sales.Value

Thanks for the reply. My SQL columns don't have spaces, but the output column headers MUST have spaces. This is not my choice, but a requirment of the third party that I am creating the CSV for to be imported into their system. Why they wrote a database import specificiation to require spaces in their column headers is beyond me, but my hands are tied. I think my only option at this point would be to move the data retrival and export into power automate where I can control the CSV output more granularly.

Hi @srduval ,

I have a similar requirement, did you get any solution?

Regards,

Karthiga

@KarthigaM22 No in the interest of time I just exported it to excel and told the end user how to resave as a CSV. The only workaround I can think of is to use power automate to query the source data, then create a CSV file with custom headers. 

Thanks for your response, have to follow Power automate approach then. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors