Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

mcheng
Frequent Visitor

Power BI On-Prem Gateway Network Folder Access Credential

Hello All

We have a Power BI report, hosting in Power BI online, and refreshing network files via an on-prem gateway. When setting up the connection string, we couldn't put in credentials in any formats including username, domain/username, email, etc. It always returns invalid credentials, then I checked the "skip connection test", and it went through, and was able to schedule the refreshes without issue. Then when I check the Data Source Credentials, it says "admin has granted access, credentials are not required", does anyone know what admin account this is referring to? admin of the gateway or admin of the workspace? or someone else?

thank you !!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hey @mcheng ,

I believe that this is the message that you receive when the connection permissions are not required of the user.  So, the gateway/data source that was created is using those permissions and the individual user does not have to enter their own. So, the word "admin" is really about the data source connection itself.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mcheng
Frequent Visitor

Collinq, thanks again for your help

After tests, I can confirm that:

If the network files/folders do not require authentication, then you should NOT enter any credentials, just skip the testing, any credentials entered will return an invalid message, even you know that they are correct. 

If it requires authentication, then the credential is needed. Otherwise, it will fail

Microsoft should have added these as notes/explanations, it would save a lot of our time.

In both cases, the connection shows the same message "admin has granted access, credentials are not required"

mcheng
Frequent Visitor

Hello Collinq, thanks for the quick reply!

This is interesting. The confusing part is why it says my Windows username and password are not valid. Even if the folder doesn't require authentication, it should still take the login credential. I will test out folders that actually require authentication.

Thanks

Hey @mcheng ,

I think you are in an odd situation where YOU can't do it but the admin set it up with those credentials so it doesn't matter about YOUR permissions.  Your idea about testing others should prove that out....

Proud to be a Datanaut!

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hey @mcheng ,

I believe that this is the message that you receive when the connection permissions are not required of the user.  So, the gateway/data source that was created is using those permissions and the individual user does not have to enter their own. So, the word "admin" is really about the data source connection itself.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors