Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Janaki_Sankaran
Regular Visitor

Paginated Report using Power BI Dataset | Query from Performance Analyser- Report & Query Parameters

Hello Community,
Need help in creating a Paginated Report in Report Builder using existing published Power BI Dataset. I also have the existing Report of it available. I need to recreate that report as paginated report. The approach I took is that copying DAX query from performance analyser in the Power BI Desktop and created the dataset (I call it as 'ds_DAXQuery') in the Report Builder by connecting to PBI Dataset, as I have to bring in 10 DAX Measures and 6 Slicers which we have in that report.
Now the 'ds_DAXQuery' dataset has static filtered values from the slicer tables in the Query.

I'm not clear on how to create the Parameters.
1) Should I need to first create Report Parameters from the tables (eg. Region, District, Store) which are used for slicing?
2) Do I also need to take care of bringing only Distinct values from the Region, District, Store ?
3) and then need to create Query parameters in the 'ds_DAXQuery' Query to make it dynamic?
4) What is the Value to be mapped or entered in the Parameters tab of ds_DAXQuery query parameters?
5) I have multiple selection of report slicers. Hence how to handle that in Report Builder?

Also related blogs, posts and resource links on this will be helpful. Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AnalyticPulse
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

hi,

1.Yes, you should create report parameters for the slicers you want to include in your paginated report. These parameters will allow users to filter the data dynamically. You can create parameters based on the tables (e.g., Region, District, Store) used for slicing.

2. It's a good practice to bring distinct values for your parameters to avoid redundancy and improve user experience. You can achieve this by writing queries to retrieve distinct values from your dataset tables and then use those queries as datasets for your report parameters.

3.After creating report parameters, you need to pass these parameter values to your dataset query to make it dynamic. You'll create query parameters in your 'ds_DAXQuery' dataset query and reference the report parameters you've created.

4.In the Parameters tab of the 'ds_DAXQuery' dataset properties, you'll map your query parameters to the report parameters you've created. This ensures that the parameter values selected by the user are passed to the dataset query.

5.If you have parameters that allow multiple selections (e.g., multi-select slicers), you'll need to adjust your dataset query to handle these multiple values. Depending on your data source and query language, you may need to use functions like IN or OR to filter your data accordingly.

If this helped, Follow this blog for more insightful information about data analytics
Analytic Pulse 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
AnalyticPulse
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

hi,

1.Yes, you should create report parameters for the slicers you want to include in your paginated report. These parameters will allow users to filter the data dynamically. You can create parameters based on the tables (e.g., Region, District, Store) used for slicing.

2. It's a good practice to bring distinct values for your parameters to avoid redundancy and improve user experience. You can achieve this by writing queries to retrieve distinct values from your dataset tables and then use those queries as datasets for your report parameters.

3.After creating report parameters, you need to pass these parameter values to your dataset query to make it dynamic. You'll create query parameters in your 'ds_DAXQuery' dataset query and reference the report parameters you've created.

4.In the Parameters tab of the 'ds_DAXQuery' dataset properties, you'll map your query parameters to the report parameters you've created. This ensures that the parameter values selected by the user are passed to the dataset query.

5.If you have parameters that allow multiple selections (e.g., multi-select slicers), you'll need to adjust your dataset query to handle these multiple values. Depending on your data source and query language, you may need to use functions like IN or OR to filter your data accordingly.

If this helped, Follow this blog for more insightful information about data analytics
Analytic Pulse 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors