Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help newbie

Hi All,

I want to create a dashboard using power bi and we recently purchased Power BI pro.

1) I am creating a report using query (selected the optiondirect query) using the desktop since i read we cannot create reports using Power BI service.

2) Once in desktop when i clicked on getdata and then used advanced options to paste my query , i get the message as because of my transformations in the query it cannot be published. I constantly have the Apply changes on top of my reports. So as of now i am saving the reports to my local drive and then adding them manually in Power BI.

3) I created a dashboard and added the two reports. But they are on different pages , is there a way i can show them side by side.

please need help.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

it would appear that you would need to have 2 Power BI Desktop files open to compare?

Or 2 browsers to compare?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Gilbert,

For a newbie like me it doesnt sense. Can you please tell me how to find if two different versions are running ? I do not get what you meant.

Hi there

Apologies if I was confusing you.

Could you perhaps show me an example of what you are trying to achieve?

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Np Gilbert, thanks for your time. Ok i took a cue from your earlier issue and resolved it. As i mentioned we recently purchased PowerBI Pro and i guess i used my login to create reports using Power BI desktop and hence i was getting that message when publishing as another person was logged onto PowerBI Service using his credentials. Finally got it working , thanks.

However i have two questions and will greatly appreciate if i can get an sanswer.

1) Can w enot create reports using Power BI instead of creating using Desktop and publishing it to Power BI, i also see we can edit the report in Power BI so why cannot we create one?

2) We want to color code the columns in the report (not conditional formatting), not the values just the column headers, example 1st column header red, second blue ......

I only see conditional formatting unless i missed or overlookd something.

Thanks

Hi there, glad you are learning and getting some solutions.

To answer your questions:
1. Currently it is not possible to create data models in the Power BI Service, and all the ingestion of getting data has to be done in Power BI Desktop.
Whilst you can edit the report online, I would recommend always doing it in Power BI Desktop and then uploading, otherwise your reports will not match.
2. Currently you are not able to colour code the headers.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors