Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

pborah
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

How to trigger report refresh based on new data in PowerBI Dataset?

I have an external analytics tool- KNIME writing a PowerBI dataset in service each time a workflow in KNIME completes. I want to know how to trigger automatic refresh for associated reports based on that dataset when new data becomes available?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-kongfanf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pborah ,

You can implement this process in a script or program using your preferred programming language, such as Python, PowerShell, or Node.js, and then schedule it to run periodically using Windows Task Scheduler or any other scheduling tool.

Best Regards,
Adamk Kong

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-kongfanf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pborah ,

You can implement this process in a script or program using your preferred programming language, such as Python, PowerShell, or Node.js, and then schedule it to run periodically using Windows Task Scheduler or any other scheduling tool.

Best Regards,
Adamk Kong

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-kongfanf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pborah ,

Based on your description, I think there are two ways to try this:

• If the data is updated regularly, you can configure a scheduled refresh in the Power BI service.
  • Power BI provides a REST API that can be called to programmatically trigger a dataset refresh.

For more details, you can read below document:

Configure scheduled refresh - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Datasets - Refresh Dataset In Group - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,
Adamk Kong

Thanks @v-kongfanf-msft , do you know if the REST API can be called by windows task scheduler directly? Or do I have to write a script that calls the REST API and configure scheduler to execute that script?

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @pborah ,

Power BI itself does not have a "trigger" for new data.  However, you could use a Power Automate flow to kick off the refresh when it finds new data in the other system.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors