Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

texmexdragon2
Helper V
Helper V

How to deal with this RLS scenario?

Here is the RLS scenario I am trying to find a solution for.  

In our opportunities table, we have both the Account owner, and the Opportunity owner.    The account owner is not always the same as the opportunity owner...and vice versa.    Our management wants the salesperson to see their opportunities (and only theirs) if they are the account owner and/or the opportunity owner.     So in the example below, Jane Smith should see Opportunities  a, b, and d.  

The challenge is that User IDs in our master employee table filters the Accounts table, (one user to many accounts), which in turn filters the Opportunities table (one account to many opps).  So in my current setup, the RLS will only show users the opportunities that they are the Account owner of, since the Accounts table is filtering the Opps table.   

In essence what I need is that if the userprinciplename = current user, and if that current user's USER ID matches either the account owner id OR the opp owner id, then show those records.   Just not sure how to implement this.  

Account Owner    Opp Owner     Opportunity

Jane Smith            Jane Smith         a

Ted Jones              Jane Smith         b

Jack Torres            Jack Torres         c

Jane Smith            Ted Jones          d

Ted Jones              Jack Torres        e

2 REPLIES 2
texmexdragon2
Helper V
Helper V

@otravers  Interesting idea.   Another approach I was thinking was to (in query editor) say:  If account owner = opportunity owner, then true/false.    Then apply RLS agains that column where the current user  (user principal name) would see only the True values.   Just need to figure out how to set that up in DAX or in the modeling view.  

otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

There are probably different ways to approach this. One option would be to unpivot the Account Owner and Opp Owner columns into two columns: Owner and an Owner Type, then apply RLS against the Owner column.

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
------------------------------------------------
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors