Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

TeeGee
Helper II
Helper II

How long can it take for a Power BI Pro license to fully propagate throughout the system?

I have an account with a Power BI Pro license. I have confirmed this because I found where the license status is hidden in the PowerBI.com UI: in the Manage Personal Storage screen.

I am logged into this same account on both the Power BI Pro service, as well as Power BI desktop app. I have triple checked this.

When I try to upload from Power BI desktop to a named Workspace, it gives the error: Only users with Power BI Pro licenses can publish to this workspace.

It has been over two hours since I first signed up for the trial Power BI account (after discovering that you cannot share Workspaces with people who have a different email domain than you, another unadvertised feature).  Thinking a trial license isn't actually a true Pro license, I then got my administrator to assign me a license.  It has been an hour since that has happened and I still can not use any of the features.  Hopefully this is just due to amazingly poorly written code (combined with objectively incorrect error messages) that propagates licenses across sevrers, and not an outright bug.  I wonder how long I'll have to wait until I find out which one it is.

Another general question I have is:  Power BI is a paid product, does Microsoft offer support of any kind, or has that been outsourced to customers themselves via discussion forums?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @TeeGee 

There should be no delay or just about 15 minutes, then it will work.

But this time it is a known issue and had been submitted to power bi product team, and mitigation expected to be done by end of day 10/01/2019.

12.JPG

Another general question I have is:  Power BI is a paid product, does Microsoft offer support of any kind, or has that been outsourced to customers themselves via discussion forums?

Yes, you could also open a support ticket, then Microsoft support team will contact you and give you further help.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

How to create a support ticket in Power BI

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ramit-rulz
Frequent Visitor

I am facing the same issue right now. So, doesn't look like it is related to an outage. 

It has been over 6 hours since a PowerBI Pro license was assigned to my user and I cannot publish reports yet using the Powershell cmd New-PowerBIReport. I get following error: 

"Operation returned an invalid status code 'Unauthorized'"

Report publishing works from PowerBI Desktop (althought that also took 2 hours to start working).

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @TeeGee 

There should be no delay or just about 15 minutes, then it will work.

But this time it is a known issue and had been submitted to power bi product team, and mitigation expected to be done by end of day 10/01/2019.

12.JPG

Yes, you could also open a support ticket, then Microsoft support team will contact you and give you further help.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

How to create a support ticket in Power BI

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors