Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

chriscooper103

How do I get the usage matrix report to show for more than 30 days' worth of data?

When I run a usage matrix report its only holding 30 days' worth of data, I've read that Power BI used to be able to return 90 days but only now it's 30 days?

I've read it's possible to export the Usage Metrix report data every day so we can build up some historical data to report on, but I've not found a working example on how to set this up.

Has anybody tested recently exporting the usage matrix report to a Blob storage, or any other way? 

I hope someone can point me in the right direction, thanks in advance. 

2 REPLIES 2
chriscooper103

Thank you @devesh_gupta , I will give this a go. 

devesh_gupta
Super User
Super User

@chriscooper103 

Setting up an automated export process for Power BI usage metrics data involves using Microsoft Power Automate. Follow these steps to create a flow that exports usage metrics data on a regular basis:

1. Access Power Automate:

2. Create a New Flow:

• Click on "Create" in the left-hand menu.
  3. Choose a Trigger:

• Search for and select the trigger that will initiate the flow. For this scenario, you'll want to use a scheduled trigger. Search for "Schedule" and choose "Schedule - Recurrence".
  4. Configure the Trigger:

• Set the schedule for when you want the export to occur. For example, if you want it to run daily, you can set it to run every day at a specific time.
  5. Add an Action to Export Data:

• Click on "New Step" > "Add an action".
    • Search for and select the action related to exporting Power BI data. Depending on the available connectors and updates to Power Automate, the specific action name may vary. Look for something like "Export Power BI data" or similar.
  6. Configure the Export Action:

• Connect to your Power BI account and select the specific workspace or report you want to export usage metrics from.
  7. Save and Test:

• Save your flow and give it a meaningful name.
    • Test the flow to ensure that it runs and exports the data correctly.
  8. Set Up Storage Destination (Optional):

• If you want to save the exported data to a specific location (e.g., Blob storage), you'll need to add an action to do so. Select the appropriate connector and configure the destination settings.
  9. Turn On the Flow:

• Once you're confident that the flow is set up correctly, turn it on.
  10. Monitor and Troubleshoot:

• Keep an eye on the flow's run history to ensure it's executing as expected. If any issues arise, use the logs to troubleshoot.

If you find this insightful, please provide a Kudo and accept this as a solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors