Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Rakshhit_Sharma
Frequent Visitor

Help for data source installation

While installing On-premises data gateway (personal mode) , it asks for account sign in for making a connection between excel data files and power bi reports published on service workspace. Now the error is , the installer is not recognizing the account, i have to use for my work. It is accepting my temporary account , but when it comes to main account which is cuurently signed in in power bi desktop, power bi service, the installer is not accepting it. The message comes " The service cannot reach the gateway. You may need to change the account the gateway runs under". But i am using everything a fresh within the main account, not the temporary one.

Update: Currently using the temporary one for data connectivity between source file and reports . Other things which i want some suggestions too is the data source. Currently the excel file i am using , is located in my pc so its static address like "c:/users/hp...." is right now being used. So i want to shift the file on onedrive and use its oneline address in data source address in power bi reports, so that everyone can access both the source file and change the backend if needed. How to do that along with my initial question ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yilong-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Rakshhit_Sharma ,

For your first question, I think you first need to make sure that you install the gateway with the same account that Desktop and Service use.

vyilongmsft_0-1710316050108.png

On the other hands, you need to check the network connection and make sure the On-premises data gateway (personal mode) is the latest version. You can download it by this link: Use a personal gateway in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

To your other question, I think you can move your excel file to Ondrive and you can update Power BI Data Source.

In Power BI Desktop, go to Get Data > Web, paste the copied OneDrive link into the From Web dialog. You can also read this document: Use OneDrive for work or school links in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

vyilongmsft_1-1710317824711.pngvyilongmsft_2-1710317935697.png

Best Regards

Yilong Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yilong-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Rakshhit_Sharma ,

For your first question, I think you first need to make sure that you install the gateway with the same account that Desktop and Service use.

vyilongmsft_0-1710316050108.png

On the other hands, you need to check the network connection and make sure the On-premises data gateway (personal mode) is the latest version. You can download it by this link: Use a personal gateway in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

To your other question, I think you can move your excel file to Ondrive and you can update Power BI Data Source.

In Power BI Desktop, go to Get Data > Web, paste the copied OneDrive link into the From Web dialog. You can also read this document: Use OneDrive for work or school links in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

vyilongmsft_1-1710317824711.pngvyilongmsft_2-1710317935697.png

Best Regards

Yilong Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

In first scenario, i did logged in with that specofic work account in desktop, service, downloaded the gateway via that acccount. But still, it is not accpeting that account when i try to login while installing.

Thanks for second case

Hi @Rakshhit_Sharma ,

I think you can try to log in for one more time. If it does not help you ,you can also download On-premises data gateway (personal mode) in another computer. You can read this document for a further study: Troubleshoot Power BI gateway (personal mode) - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If you can provide me with specific screenshots or more information, I will continue to do my research.

Best Regards

Yilong Zhou

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors