Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

JessieF
Advocate II
Advocate II

Fabric capacity metrics app - showing wrong capacity in multi-capacity tenant

Hello All,

Curious if there is advice - perhaps I made an error or don't know how to properly read the Fabric Capacity Metrics App, but I have two P1 Capacities, and when I installed the App I entered one of the capacity ID's as it asks.  When the report refreshes I see the names of the capacities unique to my organization.  But when I select one capacity and view the Items in 14 days visual at the bottom, it shows me Workspaces assigned to both capacities.   

Here's an image where I have selected the named capacity "Enterprise" on the top and named capacity "Self-service" on the bottom and there are Workspace names highlighted in both images. I have physically confirmed these Workspaces are in the "self-service" capacity.  This mis-match of Items to capacity makes it difficult to analyze the report for issues to focus on for optimization.
Please help me understand if the Items (in 14 days) is supposed to filter for the Capacity selected

JessieF_0-1715620767178.png

Thank you!
Jessie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @JessieF 

I wouldn't expect that when you filter on the capacity, it should also filter on the workspaces. This might not be happening as with your example. I would. simply log a support ticket to see if they can get this resolved.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you sure you haven't got the same information on two different capacites, which is causing some confusion? 

In the backend of the Capacity metrics app,  a parameterized M-Code query is generated when you load the pages in your screenshots. The parameter in this query is a single Capacity ID. 

As such, it should be impossible for information from two different capacities to be shown on those pages. One way to confirm this would be to jump into DAX Studio & query the "Items" table behind the capacity metrics app.

To do this you can do the following ( assuming you have XMLA read access to the workspace containing the Capacity Metrics App Semantic model), 

1) Connect to the Fabric capacity Metrics semantic model  using DAX Studio : (Connect -> Tabular Server -> then add the XMLA endpoint of your Fabric Capacity Metrics - Semantic Model)

2) Run this Query  to retrive information on the items on all of your capacities :  "EVALUATE Items"

3) This will return a couple key Columns Items[Item] - which includes the Workspace & Item Name , and  Item[capacityId]  which is the capacity ID.  This will confirm what capacity you workspaces and items are on.

4) If the Capacity ID  doesn't mean anything to you, you can also get a list of the capacity names & associated IDs by running this query "EVALUATE Capacities"  

Hope this helps 

Regards

Steve

JessieF
Advocate II
Advocate II

thanks @GilbertQ  - I'll log a ticket. Appreciate your insight.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @JessieF 

I wouldn't expect that when you filter on the capacity, it should also filter on the workspaces. This might not be happening as with your example. I would. simply log a support ticket to see if they can get this resolved.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors