Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Extracting Underlying Data from Card Visual

Dear All,

I created a lot of cards in one of my dashboards, the requirement is the management want to export the underlying data of each card.

for example one card of "Total Active Employee" , they want to view the department / section / etc.. and export the underlying data to excel or csv.

the original card visual underlying data option is only extracting one row only, which is the card value without any category.

I also tried multiple 3rd part visuals .. some of them are exporting the full dataset (whether employee is active or not) and I don't even have the option to select the columns that will be exported.

Is there any solution for that? Can I define specific columns from the dataset to be exported along with the measure in the card?

Regards.

John.

5 REPLIES 5
NandanHegde
Super User
Super User

Hey,

The below blog would help in an automated way to extract the underlying data :

https://datasharkx.wordpress.com/2023/03/02/overcoming-data-size-row-limitations-of-power-bi-rest-ap...

AnkitKukreja
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

Can you share a sample file to check what is the issue? If you have worked on the suggestion suggested here, also check this doc to know if you are missing anything here.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-visualization-export-data?tabs=powerbi-service#export-underlying-data

If my response has successfully addressed your question or concern, I kindly request that you mark this post as resolved. Additionally, if you found my assistance helpful, a thumbs-up would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ankit Kukreja
www.linkedin.com/in/ankit-kukreja1904
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

Following the best practices, you should encourage the data to stay in Power BI and provide requred analytics. One suggestion is to use drill-through from your card visual to reuired breakdown: Card drill through in Power BI – XXL BI

However, if you need to provide access to your users download the underlying data (details), you can enable it on the Report settings in Power BI Serivice.

Fowmy_0-1703653567705.png

When they click on the three dots, to export data,  Underlyding Data option could be selected.

Fowmy_1-1703653614767.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear @Fowmy , Thanks for your reply.

However, this is not solving the issue, I already provided the users access to download the underlying data. when they export the card underlying data. it only shows the card value .. 

for example I attached here a very dummy and basic pbix. it has employees ,,, active employees in may 2022 is 50 ... I want the user to be able to export the data of this 50 employees with their attributes (their sections, grades, ... etc)

johndha_0-1703821415993.png

johndha_1-1703821439028.png

@Anonymous 

In that case, as I mentioned above, you should provide drill through option from your card, then once they go to this break down they can click on the three dots and export the data:
Watch this video, it should hhelp you: https://youtu.be/vFPUslxcFj4

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors