Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

BI2theRescue
Frequent Visitor

Excel Export with live connection doesn´t support multi language reports?!

When I export data via Excel Export using live connection, the report is not displayed in the language as in the fabric. We use the translation builder which is based on the USERCULTURE function. However, if the data is accessed via "Analyze in Excel", the language in Excel is identical to the Fabric. For example a Polish colleague consumes a multilanguage report in polish and the Excel File which has been created via live connection shows the data in German because it is the base language. On the other hand when he uses the "Analyze in Excel" Function the Excel File (Pivot) shows the data in polish. 

Why is that and is there any possibility to change the language based on the USERCULTURE or any other workaround?

5 REPLIES 5
resuttano83
Frequent Visitor

Spoiler

Hi,

This is à huge by design bug and i hope that ms team Will correct it asap 😞 

v-yifanw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BI2theRescue ,

The behaviour you are experiencing stems from the way Excel and Power BI handle language settings and functions. When you use Analyse in Excel, it preserves the language context because it interacts directly with the Power BI semantic model. When exporting data through an Excel export with a live connection, the process generates an Excel table that is not dynamically linked to the USERCULTURE function in the same way. This causes the data to be displayed in the base language of the report, rather than adapting to the user's current language settings.

To resolve this issue, consider the following workaround:

1. After exporting, manually adjust the language settings in Excel. While not ideal, this may be a temporary solution.
  2. Since this is a limitation in the current function, providing feedback to Microsoft via the Power BI Ideas forum may lead to future enhancements in this area:Home (microsoft.com)

For more insight on how the USERCULTURE function works and its limitations, you can refer to the official documentation here:Use locale values in multiple-language Power BI reports - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Ada Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @BI2theRescue ,

Thank you for the idea, and I hope more people with the same needs can join the vote in the future.

Best Regards,

Ada Wang

Thanks for the reply @v-yifanw-msft .

Your first idea, to change the language settings in Excel, was the first thing that came to my mind but even when I change the Office Language to Polish the Excel File shows the data in German. I even went so far that I changed the Windows language to Polish to force the Excel output in Polish but this didn´t work out as well.

BI2theRescue_0-1711002506835.pngBI2theRescue_1-1711002515813.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors