Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Pujoni
Frequent Visitor

Error when publishing Power BI report with multiple connections!

In Power BI Desktop I am able to update normally, but when publishing to the Workspace, an error occurs!

ERROR:
File contains corrupted data.. The exception was raised by the IDataReader interface. Please review the error message and provider documentation for further information and corrective action.

I have 4 connections, 3 using GoogleSheets.Contents and 1 using SharePoint.Files. Is there any way to solve this or at least identify where the error is?

10 REPLIES 10
Pujoni
Frequent Visitor

Something strange happened, on the other computer it updates in the Desktop version now, but in the Web version it continues with the same error.

Did you try narrowing down which file(s) it is per my previous post?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
Adamboer
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

The error message you received indicates that there may be corrupted data in your Power BI Desktop file. When publishing your report to the workspace, the error was triggered due to an issue with the IDataReader interface.

There are several steps you can take to try to solve this issue. Firstly, you can try to identify which of the 4 connections may be causing the problem. To do this, you can try publishing the report with each connection disabled one at a time, to see if the error persists. If you are able to identify the connection that is causing the issue, you can then investigate further to determine the cause of the corruption.

Additionally, you can try to resolve the issue by refreshing the data sources in Power BI Desktop before publishing. This can help to ensure that any changes or updates to the data sources are properly integrated into the report, and may help to prevent corruption issues.

If neither of these solutions work, you may need to seek further assistance from Microsoft support or the provider documentation for your data sources to identify the root cause of the issue and implement a corrective action.

edhans
Super User
Super User

Are you using the latest version of Power BI Desktop - currently March 2023? I would use that and retry. then we can dig deeper to see what the issue is.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Pujoni
Frequent Visitor

Yes, I am using the latest version

I would test it this way.

1. Save a copy of the PBIX.
  2. Delete one of those tables and publish.
  3. Keep doing that until it works.
  4. Once you figure out which one was causing it post that code here and let's see if we can figure out what the issue was.

You could also make a new connection for that table and copy the M code into it, then load that. It will delete any measures you have stored in that table, so move them first. 

Pujoni
Frequent Visitor

Great idea! The only data source that didn't work was the one coming from Sharepoint. It's a folder in Sharepoint documents, and when I query it, I combine all the .xlsx files from the folder. As mentioned before, there are no errors in the Desktop version, and through the connection manager, I see that this query is online. I wonder what happened with this one?

Pujoni_0-1679358280921.png

Pujoni_1-1679358347597.png

Pujoni_2-1679358512837.png

File contains corrupted data.. The exception was raised by the IDataReader interface. Please review the error message and provider documentation for further information and corrective action.

I also ran the query on different accounts to ensure there was nothing different.

It looks like it is telling you the files in SharePoint are corrupted somehow. What kinds of files are those? CSV, XLS, XLSX?

If XLS, try converting them to XLSX. I've seen more and more problems over the years with XLS files.

If another type, just try opening and resaving. There could be a small corruption that Power BI Desktop doesn't care about but the service does.

Again, you could try the same type of process of elimination. Remove all but a few files from SharePoint temporarily. Refresh. If it works, add a few more files back. Keep doing this until if fails. You should narrow down the file(s) that are causing the problem.

Pujoni
Frequent Visitor

The files are .xlsx

Pujoni_2-1679401101577.png

I changed the source to another Sharepoint, but the error persisted, so I used power bi on another computer and the error started to appear on the Desktop version as well. Which is strange, because on Machine 1 it loads without error through the Desktop, on Machine 2 it shows the error!

Pujoni_0-1679400930856.png

Pujoni_1-1679401016963.png

I'm testing each file to see if I can find a different one, but so far all I've tested come up as "corrupted".

I have the same issue. Did you find a solution?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors