Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jragan
Frequent Visitor

Do I need to change Capacity Region or Power BI Tenant Region or Both?

Hello, we have a PowerBI P1 that was created in a region that doesn't support Fabric. We now want to do fabric but cannot because of the region issue. I am not finding clear guidance from posts here, web, or even Fabric Support on what is actually needed.

Do we need to change the PowerBi and P1 Capacity regions or just the P1 Capacity Region?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @jragan 

That looks good and like it will work for me.

I would suggest creating an F64 in Azure so that you can start and pause it. So when it is not being used (which is when you pause it) you will not be billed.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @jragan 

If you stop the capacity all items in the app workspace will also stop. Unless it is using a Power BI Imported mode then that will work as per normal when the capacity is stopped.

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @jragan 

From my understanding, you will just need to change the P1 capacity region to a region where fabric is supported.

Here are details on how to achieve this: Multi-Geo support for Fabric - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ Thanks - The problem I have with that article is that the entire guidance is a single bullet that doesn't really go into any detail.

I'm planning on the following?

1. Create (temporary) F64 Fabric Capacity
  2. Script reassignment of the workspaces using the P1 to the Temporary F64.
  3. Delete the existing P1.
  4. Create new P1 in proper region.
  5. Script reassignment of the workspaces from the Temporary F64 to the new P1.
  6. Delete the temporary F64

Reassignment Script:

$oldCapacityGuid = [guid]::Parse("<oldguid>")
$newCapacityGuid = [guid]::Parse("<newguid>")
$workspaces = Get-PowerBIWorkspace -Scope Organization -All | Where-Object {($_.CapacityId -eq $oldCapacityGuid)}
foreach ($workspace in $workspaces) {
   Write-Host "$($workspace.Id) - $($workspace.Name)"
   Set-PowerBIWorkspace -Scope Organization -Id $workspace.Id -CapacityId $newCapacityGuid
}

Do you see any problems with this plan? I'm using the temporary F64 just to avoid any possible free user issues and to have more control over the process. If this all happens within 10 minutes I won't be charged for a month's worth of F64 will I?

Hi @jragan 

That looks good and like it will work for me.

I would suggest creating an F64 in Azure so that you can start and pause it. So when it is not being used (which is when you pause it) you will not be billed.

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ We have a lot of legacy PowerBI (pre Fabric) in which the BI Team's dashboards do a lot of processing within the Data Source builder and ingest the data into PowerBI for the various dashboard pages - If I bind them to a capacity and stop it, how much of their stuff stops working? Do refreshes fail? Do the dashboards load at all? What about for the fabric-enabled workspaces - assuming the newer PowerBI is reading (dynamic queries) from the Fabric data lakes instead of ingesting, if I stop the capacity, will they still render?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors