Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ColinRE
Frequent Visitor

Direct Query Service : Slicer Does not update when a there is a change made (but Desktop works fine)

Hey Community,

Strange question.

In the desktop I have text slicer for a Direct Query that use M parameters. The slicer (green box) is updating correctly in the desktop.  It is Date start - Date End: Duration text string. 

When I publish to the service, and make a change using M inputs or recipe, it does not update the slicer.  PS, the slicer is a further refinement on the results returned from SQL using the M parameters. 

Interestingly enough, after playing around for way too long, I noticed that the same column in the slicer must also be in the matrix itself. The screen shot shows a date time : date time header,  which is different than the Date start :  Date End: Duration text string

The question is, is this is a bug (desktop behavior vs. service) or does this behavior make sense? Why does it work in desktop but but not the service... 

I submotted a ticket to Microsoft as well but I don't usually get helpful responses. 

ColinRE_0-1710804304663.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

They will update the list, but not the selection.

View solution in original post

Alright, finally resolved this. I turned off the automatic aggregation training. I guess this result is cached. Using the pipeline and re-deploying the report also made the report work (temporarily for a day), but after the refresh, the aggregations resulted in caching, so this  was not a long term solution.  

ColinRE_0-1712330422724.png

The report works as exepcted now. The above is not the solution. The slicer (green box) will update based on the inputs selected. 

@v-yetao1-msft  is this a bug? Should slicers be cached? Should there be a feature to supress slicer caching? 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ColinRE
Frequent Visitor

@lbendlin 

A user had a similar issue where you helped here. I set capcity to defualt no caching. Still didn't work. Any ideas on how to add something like Rand to a text string? I am guessing this will prevent caching? 

Also, oddly, in my Dev environment, the report works perfectly and not in Prod. I use Databricks FYI. 

https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/How-do-I-prevent-caching-data-for-each-filter-used...

ColinRE
Frequent Visitor

Hey,

Just wanted to update this. Had a call with Microsoft. After walking this through, the slicer magically worked. Can't tell if the new update fixed it but tried a few different things, including deleting and re-adding the slicer, abd clearing report cache. I blame the gremlins in the reort... 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please define what you mean by "Slicer update".  Are you expecting the selection to change?

That's correct. Numeric parameters or a recipe change will update the selection list (green box). Basically, it's after all the M parameters have been applied, you can further refine the list. 

I am debating running a query trace to see what is being sent back to SQL Server. 

They will update the list, but not the selection.

Alright, finally resolved this. I turned off the automatic aggregation training. I guess this result is cached. Using the pipeline and re-deploying the report also made the report work (temporarily for a day), but after the refresh, the aggregations resulted in caching, so this  was not a long term solution.  

ColinRE_0-1712330422724.png

The report works as exepcted now. The above is not the solution. The slicer (green box) will update based on the inputs selected. 

@v-yetao1-msft  is this a bug? Should slicers be cached? Should there be a feature to supress slicer caching? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors