Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

gauravjaini
Frequent Visitor

Dataset refresh failure after upgrading pbi on-premise gateway. 3000.194.16, October release

Hello, after upgrading to latest gateway update -> 3000.194.16, October release, our powerbi dataset refreshes have started failing quite often. They fail and succeed after 2-3 retry attempts. It started right after the upgrade. Any news on that?

Error:

{"error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","pbi.error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","parameters":{},"details":[{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorCode","detail":{"type":1,"value":"-2147467259"}},{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorMessage","detail":{"type":1,"value":"<ccon>The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.</ccon>"}},{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult","detail":{"type":1,"value":"-2147467259"}},{"code":"Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Detail","detail":{"type":1,"value":"<ccon>https://api.powerbi.com/powerbi/globalservice/v201606/clusterdetails</ccon>"}},{"code":"Microsoft.Da...} Table:xyz

17 REPLIES 17
IB
Frequent Visitor

We had the same refresh issue, same error description with same On-Premises/Cloud data combination, we reverted to September version Gateway and like magic, all our datasets are now refreshing with no errors!

Hi IB,

How did you downgrade from October to September release?  Did you have to rollback to the version you had installed on your gateway before updating to September?  Or downgraded from Oct to Sept release?

Please reply. I am making decision to rollback or wait for fix release around 3/11.

September version was available here: Currently supported monthly updates to the on-premises data gateways | Microsoft Learn

However they have now released the fixed version 3000.194.17 here: Download On-premises data gateway from Official Microsoft Download Center

Matthew_Martell
Frequent Visitor

We are getting this same error since upgrading to 3000.194.16, October release. It happens primarily when refreshing SharePoint connections, although we have had some Oracle fails. 

Usually the data will refresh if then triggered manually which is odd - it is the scheduled refreshes which fail.

Hi @Matthew_Martell , did you find a solution? We are still getting this error and its annoying!

It is still occurring for us. It seems to be particularly on datasets where there is a Windows authenticated source such as SharePoint or Dataflows, but that may be a coincidence. 

We have tried re-publishing reports and sometimes that works for a while but then fails again after a few refreshes. Often the same report will succeed on a manual refresh immediately after failing on a scheduled refresh. 

Thanks! we are also still facing this but no response from Microsoft yet.

Surprisingly/silently, on the same article about onpremise gateway update, the version has been updated to 3000.190.17 but this version is not available to download anywhere.

gauravjaini_0-1698745737220.png

Article Link: - On-premises data gateway October 2023 release | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

3000.190.17 was the september release. I think that was a typo in the blog post.

I noticed a common occurance in all of the datasets that have this issue for us. They are using both a cloud and on-premise connection. We have combinations of on-prem SQL Server and Oracle mixed with cloud connections to Odata, ADLS, and Dataflows.

I opened a support ticket and they said wait till the November release and see if it works. Not much help at all. In the meantime, the issue doesn't occur on the September gateway, so rolling back is the only option.

I am facing the same problem since upgrading gateway to 3000.194.16 (Oct, 2023) today.  Mainly the scheduled refresh failed.  Manual refresh may work after a few attempts.  I am testing to turn off the refresh schedule and turn back on to see whether it helps.

I think that was the original version. They then added a new version on 23/10/23 which usually indicates an issue with the original. 

They've added this as a known issue to the support page. ETA on a fix is 11/3.

Microsoft Fabric Support and Status | Microsoft Fabric

The fix has been released. I installed it and everything is working with our datasets.

Download On-premises data gateway from Official Microsoft Download Center

Thanks for your info. Is the fix version 3000.194.17? I will install it asap.

Yes, that's it.

Joshrodgers123
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

This is occurring for us as well across many datasets. The issue seems to be with any dataset that uses both an on-prem and cloud source. We're seeing with on-prem SQL server and odata, on-prem SQL server and dataflows, Oracle and Azure data lake. We have a support ticket open but no resolution yet. These errors don't occur on the September gateway. 

collinq
Super User
Super User

HI @gauravjaini ,

Have you also upgraded your Power BI Desktop?  Maybe there is something out of sync?  I have not heard of any issues but there could be some - the folks that would know for sure is Microsoft.  You can open a ticket with them to ask about this.  Let us know the result.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Its not related to powerbi desktop. And its clear that I am not the only one facing this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors