Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

FredrikW
Advocate I
Advocate I

Dataflow based reports stopped working last night

All of our reports stopped updateing last night with this error:

[ValidateMarkupTags][ccon]Expression.Error: Blob URLS are not supported within the ADLS Gen 2 connector.. [ccon]

We have defined a CDM based DataFlow to point out the model.json file (using the DFS URL)

Then the report (or model ) is using the PowerBI dataflow (legacy) connection to fetch the data.

It is working in PoerBI desktop, but not online.

We have tried to chnage to Powerplatform dataflow in the report and still same behavoir

Feels like MS has changed something. The error message is refering to a CSV file on the ADLS storage usung BLOB url, so it fells to me it is related to how the connector is reading the data from the dataflow

Anyone else experinced this?? Any ideas??

31 REPLIES 31
WvanDuren
Regular Visitor

As a temporary solution, we made a powerautomate flow to automatically edit all the files. In that way we do not have the downtime, however, this is very fragile. I hope someone at Microsoft takes this seriously and solves it. We are working for more than a week with MS support, without result so far.

WvanDuren
Regular Visitor

We have exactly the same issue. PowerBI integration from dataflows stopped working sice 7th of April, with same error message.

Microsoft support is investigating, but we are already one week without any powerBI data

As a workaround, we found out that we can edit the model.json file in the datalake, and replace blob.core with dfs.core. Afterwards we can refresh again, however: after each refresh from D365FO we need to edit the json again.

v-heq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @FredrikW ,
This is a complicated issue, and I appreciate the method that you have provided. It would be great if you continue to share in this issue to help others with similar problems after you know the root cause or solution.

Best regards,

Albert He

FredrikW
Advocate I
Advocate I

Still no solution from MS. Latest respons:

"I would like to inform you that there are many users facing similar issue and our internal team is actively working on the same. Meanwhile, I would like to collect some information from your end. So, could you please let us know your feasible time slot for screenshare session?"

Thank you VM mate

kvidales
Regular Visitor

We are experiencing the same issue. Would you mind keeping us updated in the thread about what MS replies?

FredrikW
Advocate I
Advocate I

This is the feedback from MS so far:

"We understand that you are facing issue with using CDM dataflows generated by Dynamics 365 Finance.

After my thorough investigation, I found that there are many users facing the similar issue from past few days. However, the good part is that our dedicated internal team is actively working on resolving it, and I want to assure you that your concern is being given the highest priority. The current status of the issue is "processing," and we are diligently working towards a solution."

KurtHatlevik
Frequent Visitor

Thx @FredrikW .  We are experiencing the same isse.  Please update us on the support case and if you get any answers. 

v-heq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @FredrikW ,
Based on the information you provided, the issue seems to be related to the fact that the ADLS Gen 2 connector does not support Blob URLs in the data flow configuration. I checked the documentation and it mentions that the user must have the Storage Blob Data Owner role, the Storage Blob Data Reader role, and the Owner role at the Storage Account level (the scope should be for this resource and not inherited). Any applied role changes may take a few minutes to synchronize and must be synchronized before the following steps can be completed in the Power BI service. You can check if the problem is due to a role change.
Also the documentation mentions that you can use ADLS Gen 2 connectors for data connectivity.
You can refer to the following documentation for more information
Configuring dataflow storage to use Azure Data Lake Gen 2 - Power BI | Microsoft Learn
Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2 - Power Query | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,

Albert He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Hi

Thanks for feedback.

I am not using DataFlow Storage in Azure DataLake, and have never used ADLS Gen2 Connectors.

This is something that MS is doing in the background.

I have a CDM folder structure that i stored in ADLS (Gen2) that is generated from Dynamics 365 FnO.

I have defined in PowerBI workspace a Dataflow that points to the model.json file (using DFS path).

In the report i then use PowerBI DataFlow (legacy) or powerPlatform Dataflows to read this to get my tabels.

After updateing PowerBI desktop I now get an error in desktop aswell.

After this i looked into the model.json file in the CDM structure. This file contains URI to the CSV files that holds the data. These URI are using the BLOB path.

I tried to hack a model.json file and changed the BLOB paths to DFS paths, and then it works.

So in my opinon this is a PowerBI issue, based on the limitation it has to read data from CDM.
I will create a support ticket with MS to se what they say about it..

Hi @FredrikW ,

I'm having the same issue and have replaced blob.core with dfs.core in the model.json file. It works but after a few hours the json file is automatically refreshed with blob.core. I assume a process is pushing the model.json file from somewhere but don't know where from.

Did you get a response from MS team?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors