Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

vikramkumawat
Frequent Visitor

Data Source Changes in Incremental Refresh

Hi,
I Need some help regarding Incremental refresh. 
I have created a report using SQL data and implemented Incremental refresh in that. I have created a parameter to switch data source from dev to prod,And I can not chagne parameter in desktop.
but In this I am facing an issue that when I have published the report and changed the parameter and refreshed the report, it only updated the data of refresh parameters range, and Achive partition data is still of older datasource.
I need help to understand the possible cause and the solution for this issue. 
Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yilong-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vikramkumawat ,

Based on your problems, here are my answers.I think you need to perform an initial full refresh after changing the data source. In another way you can verify the incremental refresh policy settings in Power BI Desktop. This document may help you: Configure incremental refresh and real-time data for Power BI semantic models - Power BI | Microsoft...

One thing you mentioned is you can not change the parameters in Desktop, so consider using Power BI Services to update the parameters.

vyilongmsft_0-1711348009690.png

Also this document may help you too: Edit parameter settings in the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards

Yilong Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yilong-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vikramkumawat ,

Based on your problems, here are my answers.I think you need to perform an initial full refresh after changing the data source. In another way you can verify the incremental refresh policy settings in Power BI Desktop. This document may help you: Configure incremental refresh and real-time data for Power BI semantic models - Power BI | Microsoft...

One thing you mentioned is you can not change the parameters in Desktop, so consider using Power BI Services to update the parameters.

vyilongmsft_0-1711348009690.png

Also this document may help you too: Edit parameter settings in the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards

Yilong Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

FarhanAhmed
Community Champion
Community Champion

This is because when you publish a report, it published with data and data model.

In your case, you are changing the parameter of data source at PBI Service. In this case data that already resides in PBI Dataset will remain as is unless it will overwrite for that period of time.

Or you must use the data of PRD while publishing the report.

One more thing that you can do it to save the file as PBI template. It will remove all the data from the file. Use this file to save again your PBIX file without refreshing the data, then upload this file in PBI Service and refresh the data model, this probably will resolve your issue.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors