Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

solvisig
Advocate III
Advocate III

Creating dataset subset-dataset

I am trying out methods of creating subsets of already existing datasets in Power BI.

Note: I have PowerBI Premium per user licence

* Problem 1: My users have high demand for the AI feature in PowerBI which is disabled on RLS datasets.
    * My solution: Create multiple datasets with filters instead of one dataset with RLS... This raises problem 2
* Problem 2: Maintaining multible datasets, measures, schemantic model and other logic for each dataset will be problematic in future for multiple datasets.

* My solution to this: Create one dataset which will maintain all the measures, schemantic modeling and more and then create multiple subsets of that dataset with filters for security logic.
The way I plan on doing this is to create dataset as usual for the main(unfiltered) dataset and then create subsets by connecting to that dataset using the analysis service connection and applying appropreate filters. This is possible with premium workspaces and XMLA endpoint enabled.

Datasets:
Dataset1 (main)
 -Dataset1.1 (filtered main)
 -Dataset1.2 (filtered2 main)

-Dataset1.* 

Is this best practice or any tips on doing it differently/better? 
Using my method - Will the performance depend on the data gateway resources or the power BI service resources?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @solvisig 

Yeah in theory that should work.

While it might take more work personally for me I would have multiple Imported datasets, each with the applied filter. 

I would then use the ALM Toolkit when depoying changes/updates to all 3 datasets from the Main dataset.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @solvisig 

Yeah in theory that should work.

While it might take more work personally for me I would have multiple Imported datasets, each with the applied filter. 

I would then use the ALM Toolkit when depoying changes/updates to all 3 datasets from the Main dataset.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors