Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

AxiomaticOne
Frequent Visitor

Confusing Wording - Remove Access to Semantic Model

When you delete access to a semantic model for a person it gives you the prompt shown below.  I can't for the life me figure out what this means in laymans terms. Google, ChatGPT, and Microsoft documentation are no help.

I have yet to see any of the red caution triangles next to any reports.  Is this only situatoins where they have "direct access" to the report? 

Do I need to check all the boxes even if there is no exclamation point? What does this do if I do that and there are no triangles vs triangles? 

Does deleting model access remove them from the App as well? If not what does the user see when they open the app to see a report that uses that model?

2024-03-23 08_21_46-Power BI.png

5 REPLIES 5
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @AxiomaticOne @AxiomaticTwo 

When you remove access to semantic models without removing access to related items users can still see those items(Reports/Dashboards) but without data. the message is asking if you also wnat to limit access to its related reports.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Appreciate that. To clarify though, these users do not have "direct access" to the reports. Direct access is granted by going to the workspace > hover over report click three dots > manage permissions > direct access tab.  No one is assigned direct access to the reports that use semantic models. Access only comes from the App.

An App and an audience in the app may have reports from multiple semantic models.  So it confuses me, why are these checkboxes there and what do they do if I check them vs when I do not.  If you check it they can't just remove you from the App I would hope at least.

Idk, confusing af. I give up and move on. Will revisit this if I ever figure it out. I just removed a bunch of access without clicking a single checkbox so we'll see if anyone yells at me.

The issue is mostly caused by the different behavior between granting access and revoking access.  much like in SharePoint, the act of granting access is a cascading event that has no audit record. When you give access to the app that then cascades down to the semantic model and the report (based on the audience settings).  But when you then go and remove access to a child element (like a report)  that will not cascade back up.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please clarify if this workspace is on Shared or Premium capacity and if Apps are involved.

Premium is where the semantic model is. Pro and premium are where reports live, with and without Apps. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors