Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

AR_GS
Frequent Visitor

Changing workspace name has broken my report

Hi,

I have a dataset connected to an database (Dataset#1), on top of that I added a connection to a SharePoint list for some additional filtering of the report, creating Dataset#2 in the workspace. Dataset#2 also contains many measures used to create the final report. Recently, the name of the workspace has changed, and this has broken all of the visuals in my report. In PBI Desktop, when I try to connect to the dataset used to make the report (Dataset#2), I get the following error:

AR_GS_1-1714377948666.png

The text behind the green line is the old name of the workspace, so I assume that changing it has kicked up the error.

Furthermore, when I connect to the original dataset, Dataset#1 (without the SharePoint list or measures), the visuals that don't utilize any of the measures created in Dataset#2 work, but of course the slicers that use the SharePoint list do not.

If I create a blank report, and connect to Dataset#1, the fields are usable in visuals as before, however of course I am missing many measures and the SharePoint list.

If I create a blank report, and connect to Dataset#2, the fields are unusable in visuals, however the SharePoint list shows up in visuals and measures are available.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jialongy-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AR_GS 

Here's a concise action plan to help solve your problem:

1. Reconnect to Dataset#2: Since the workspace name change seems to have disrupted the connection to Dataset#2, you'll need to manually reconnect to it. In Power BI Desktop, go to Home>Transform Data >Data source settings , find the source that's causing the issue, and update the connection information to reflect the new workspace name.

2. Refresh the Datasets: After updating the connection information, try refreshing both Dataset#1 and Dataset#2 in Power BI Desktop. This can help re-establish the connections and ensure that the datasets are up-to-date.

3. Re-publish the Report: Once you've successfully reconnected to Dataset#2 and refreshed the datasets, save your report and re-publish it to the Power BI service. Make sure to publish it to the workspace with the updated name.

Best Regards,

Jayleny

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jialongy-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AR_GS 

Here's a concise action plan to help solve your problem:

1. Reconnect to Dataset#2: Since the workspace name change seems to have disrupted the connection to Dataset#2, you'll need to manually reconnect to it. In Power BI Desktop, go to Home>Transform Data >Data source settings , find the source that's causing the issue, and update the connection information to reflect the new workspace name.

2. Refresh the Datasets: After updating the connection information, try refreshing both Dataset#1 and Dataset#2 in Power BI Desktop. This can help re-establish the connections and ensure that the datasets are up-to-date.

3. Re-publish the Report: Once you've successfully reconnected to Dataset#2 and refreshed the datasets, save your report and re-publish it to the Power BI service. Make sure to publish it to the workspace with the updated name.

Best Regards,

Jayleny

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

AR_GS
Frequent Visitor

Update:

Changing the workspace name back to what it was before has solved the issue... I would still like an explanation on why this happened.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors